Leg Mites

• 8 Replies

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
Leg Mites
« on: August 30, 2011, 12:46 »
What is the best way to treat leg mites?

Helenaj

Re: Leg Mites
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 13:02 »
By leg mites do you mean scaly leg? If so, there are a number of ways to treat it, all effective. Cover the legs in Vaseline regularly, therefore suffocating the mites. There's a ready made scaly leg spray, which I've found very effective and is a treatment over 7 days. You can also use Frontline spray. You can even dip the legs into a jar of surgical spirit - it's what suits you the best.
Even after you have killed the mites off, the legs will still look rough until the next moult when the raised scales will be shed. One thing you must not do is try and peel the scales off - they are still attached to the leg and will bleed if torn.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 19:16 »
Yes, sorry I mean scaly leg.  I'd heard of vaseline but didnt know if the chickens get really messy with it on?  Do I just treat the chickens with the scaly leg or do I have to treat all of them?
They are just starting to moult now so the scales should come off - hopefully!!

daisy1990

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 19:18 »
you would need to treat all the hens at the same time so buy a big pot of vaseline!
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 22:02 »
You an also get 'systemic' treatments - you give the medication to the chicken and it goes through her whole system, so it is present in her blood and when the mite sucks her blood it dies.  It is often suggested that you use both a 'systemic' treatment and a 'topical' treatment (applied directly to the legs) to get the best results.

An example of a systemic treatment is any of the wormers with -dectin in their name like Moxidectin or Cydectin.  These kill all internal and external parasites so they kill off worms, lice and mites (including scaly leg mites).  You can't eat the eggs while you are using this treatment.

orchardlady

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 22:33 »
Try dipping the birds legs once in liquid paraffin. also slather the legs with Sudo creme (nappy cream) Both have worked for one of my birds.

Orchardlady.

ChristyRose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 19:32 »
So, it might be a good idea to use a systemic treatment in the winter when they stop laying eggs.  Cant bear the thought of throwing away those delicious eggs!! :ohmy:  I could use the vaseline now and see what they are like in November?
Does the vaseline get in their feathers?  How long does it stay on their legs i.e how often do I have to reapply it?

Helenaj

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 20:02 »
You can use a scaly leg spray or Frontline if you prefer - neither has egg withdrawal.

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2011, 20:59 »
the vaseline stays on a couple of days and then needs re-applying

xx
Anyone tried predatory mites to control red mites?

Started by VeggieVirgin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 30, 2014, 15:36
by grinling
xx
Red Mites

Started by boybrown on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2010, 11:43
by SnooziSuzi
xx
mites

Started by yacks on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 27, 2011, 14:17
by kimmcb
xx
Mites

Started by Tattyanne456 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2009, 23:51
by nicchick

Page created in 0.272 seconds with 35 queries.