cucumber consternation

• 12 Replies

viettaclark

cucumber consternation
« on: June 30, 2011, 23:12 »
My cues went outside in a "zippy" during the really fine weather we had and were doing really well so I started hardening off. Then the cold wet and windy period started and although they were sheltered they got pretty wet and the stalk and leaves started crisping up.
I potted on and tied up to sticks because the growing tips were ok and I was waiting for the broad beans to finish. When I finally planted out they looked really sorry for themselves and the root structure hadn't increased much.
Now, out of 12 plants (long whites, marketmore and wantana) I have only 6 that look like they're growing with healthy new growth.
3 have frazzled growing tips. Will they die or produce offshoots? 3 are dead as dodos and all have brittle white stems and yellow crispy lower leaves.......
Do you think this lovely weather might help?
I've planted in a rich soil with fbb. Do they need lots of water?
They're still tied to the sticks and this is putting a strain on the stalks. Should I untie them and let them ramble?
Questions, questions! Does anyone know the answers? Could kick myself for not being more caring....poor little suicidal things!

radiohead

• Experienced Member
Re: cucumber consternation
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 06:28 »
Did really well with marketmore on the plot last year.......but this year they've been in a month and are still in sulk mode....they are on stations of well rotted horse manure/soil....even tried a liquid feed to try and get them moving....still barely showing any signs of growing.....Like you I am hoping that a sustained spell of warm weather will do the trick....(butternuts in the same boat as well :( )

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52 »
A couple of mine have 'lost' their top growing points and, like you, I'm waiting to see what they do next  :unsure:

I just assumed it was the cool nights we're still having  :(

BabbyAnn

« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 10:12 »
My first sowings at the end of April didn't seem to be doing much and were looking pathetic (I think the cold May and June knocked them back) so in early June I sowed another batch, kept them in the greenhouse before planting out, and they are really starting to take off, especially when I planted them out just before this weekend's heatwave.  They have overtaken the earlier sowings which are still debating whether to grow or die.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 11:19 »
A couple of mine have 'lost' their top growing points and, like you, I'm waiting to see what they do next  :unsure:

I just assumed it was the cool nights we're still having  :(

The good news is that my 2 cukes have good growing points.  :)
Bad news is that the lower leaves are crisping up almost as fast as new ones are produced!  :(
They are in the greenhouse.  :unsure:
They are F1 Passandra grown from the INCREDIBLY EXPENSIVE seeds!  :ohmy:
I will get over it if they are an expensive flop!  ;)
(Probably.)  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26 »
My good news is that I have 4 gherkin plants romping away outside, and will let some of those fatten up if all the cukes in the g/house fail.

It doesn't make sense that the outside ones are doing better than the g/house ones, but I spose gherkin types are hardier  :unsure:

viettaclark

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 13:55 »
Thanks all.
Checked today and I spied a baby green leaf coming lower down! There may be hope yet.....

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:44 »
Ours are particularly thin this year.

I used last year's seeds, and was going to get new seed if they didn't germinate, but they fired off, and got to planting out size in next to no time.

Now, they're producing, but nowhere near the size we expect, and I reckon they'll pop off before long!

I think it may be the greenhouse border soil, but it's been nourished a lot, (liquid 6X) so the jury's still out...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:23 »
I'm growing Miniature White (bit like Crystal Apple in texture but ridge cuke shape) and Wautoma (small ridge cuke).

Mine were sowed inside late May and have only been out 2-3 weeks.  They have a few yellowing leaves and but are starting to spread now and I've seen a few baby cukes forming, so fingers crossed they will romp away.  Cukes are deffo sucicidal creatures and wake up most mornings looking for another way to die  ::)

My courgettes are only just starting to produce and not seen any fruit on the squash yet.  Been a difficult growing season for that whole family of veg so far.  Here's hoping for a better few weeks ahead so they can catch up.

Jay The Digger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 12:19 »
I planted 5 plants (with the hope that at least two would survive) however only one has resisted drying out.  I bought two new plants yesterday to plant out (and it goes against the grain for me to buy plants rather than raise from seed) to replace the dead ones.  Next year I wll plant the whole pack and keep some back in reserve.

The remaining two have started to shoot again, but they are tiny, and only have one fully developed leaf (and half of that is dead). 

I am thinking about erecting a mini fleece gazeebo (tent with no sides) to give them a bit of shade from the sun when it is at it's highest and strongest.  It will leave plenty of room of room for air to circulate so they dont cook, but diffuse enough sunlight to hopefully avoid toasting the leaves.

tooo many seeds

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 19:01 »
i did marketmore and its been in the greenhouse since late april in a tomarite grow bag,iv'e had six 10 inch cues so far and hoping for more.my first go so will stick with tomarite bags :)

BabbyAnn

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 21:38 »
I use growbags  ;)  I grow tomatoes in the greenhouse in the bags, then re-use the bags the following year but move them outside into open (lid less) cold frames for outdoor cukes.  I refresh the compost with a mix of chicken manure and slow release fertiliser and insert ring cultures with added fresh compost and erect a climbing frame.  It worked so well last year I've done the same this time.  The spent compost after the 2 seasons are bagged up and taken to the allotment and dug in to improve the soil structure.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 21:42 »
BREAKING NEWS...
Been down to the plot tonight and the cukes are actually showing signs of life....they've grown at least an inch!..... :lol:....there is hope after all ::)

(butternuts still sulking though....and about to be swamped by the turks turbans which have just gone into overdrive :)..)

xx
more cucumber help please

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 10, 2008, 17:50
by Aunt Sally
xx
cucumber

Started by rcf100 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post August 07, 2012, 13:21
by Agatha
xx
cucumber

Started by doug hutch on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 22:54
by Paul Plots
xx
My cucumber ...

Started by wellingtons on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 29, 2008, 17:58
by gobs

Page created in 0.318 seconds with 34 queries.