Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.

• 2 Replies

orchardlady

Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.
« on: June 30, 2011, 11:37 »
Right O I've been worming for years using Flubenvet and never seen a worm. The last time I wormed my (40 odd) birds was in early May. I understand about quantities etc. and I know I've got the mixture right. As I have so many birds they free range in a lovely small field at the bottom of my garden. There really is not an option to contain them with no access to grass or free ranging.

Yesterday when I went to collect the eggs I found that one hen had got herself caught in one of the nest boxes. The night shutter had somehow closed trapping her inside. As I opened up the nest box access door she flapped out looking somewhat disgruntled to have been shut in on a glorious day like yesterday. She had just done a huge poo that was teaming with worms....Oh Yuck and Yikes.

So the question is as all the birds are free ranging can I up the dose without any harm to the birds or should I just worm more often that every three months?

Advice eagerly waited.

Orchardlady.

Helenaj

Re: Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2011, 11:56 »
Could she have just not got enough of the Flubenvet last time? Have you checked the other girls poos for worms (hope nobody's eating!).

I think you can worm them every two months if they free range as they have more of a chance picking up worms from the slugs and snails etc; that they eat.

Mine are free range and I tend to worm them every 10 weeks or so. I shortened the worming period as like you I noticed a few worms in the poo.

orchardlady

Re: Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2011, 22:40 »
Thanks HelenaJ I think that I'll do as you suggest and bring the worming interval closer together.
As to have I looked at other poos the answer is no but I'm working on the basis that if one has them they all do.

Many thanks again.

Orchardlady.

xx
Worming + Roaming/ free ranging?

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2012, 18:55
by Goldfinger
xx
worming free ranging hens

Started by callysauz on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post February 07, 2013, 00:05
by devonbarmygardener
xx
Help with free ranging

Started by nic_28 on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 16:29
by nic_28
xx
Free ranging now- and the thanks we get?

Started by Oliveview on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 02, 2008, 10:36
by Oliveview

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 35 queries.