Do you think I should take it?

• 27 Replies

Endymion

• Experienced Member
Re: Do you think I should take it?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2011, 01:05 »
It sounds brilliant :)

You can learn from our mistake because, even though it's south facing, plants will get 'drawn' if you plant too close to the hedge. Depending on the type of hedge and its height (ours is beech and about 10ft tall) it's probably best to leave at least a yard - which'll also give enough room to get in to cut the hedge and pick up the clippings without trampling your veg.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2011, 08:45 »
Thanks for all the encouragement, Went and had a good look. Its got a bit of hard standing so cultivation area not as great as expected. Hedge not as thick and high as I remembered it. Water and electricity readily available ( need to trim hedge and chip up cuttings) Soil seems quite light and workable.
So went for a pint and a chat with landlady and she had a few ideas( they do food and wouldn't mind some things for their table ).She also talked about greenhouse on hardstanding I was noncommittal about that  as I don't want the expense of buying one. She also had looked on internet for model allotment agreements and so shall sign up this week-end.
Then , not something I would normally do, get it covered with Resolva 24 and start hacking back the hedge.
Last thing I hadn't realised what a brilliant view of the Cleveland hills it has, I'll try to post a photo of the view and maybe even the progress I am making.
Thanks again I think this thread is closed.
Taken over neglected veg garden at new home. Enemy number 1 Ground Elder. Then there is the furry terror - bunnies - to contend with!
Made a start have beds established but moved in too late for serious planting. We shall see what 2015 brings.

mike1987

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2011, 08:49 »
it isnt in guisborough is it? just asked as a college had mentioned somthing like this and she is from guisborough and you have mentioned the hills

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2011, 09:20 »
Not Guisborough it is over in a village near Teesside airport.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 12:07 by thestens »

ferreter51

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2011, 11:57 »
Yes, take it.  I'm the same age, fairly fit and have a kitchen garden with about three times that area cultivated and am digging more at the moment.  Strim the weeds down and if you're not against using it,  spray glyphosate on new weed growth and allow it to work for a couple of weeks before digging an area over.  You'll soon fill that plot and next year you should be enjoying the fruits of your labours.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2011, 13:54 »
Yes take it and do what I did mate.

Get a mini digger if you know how to use one, if not find someone that can and sort them a drink.  Being at a pub there must be someone who can drive one who drinks there!!

Scrape the whole plot if it's fairly short grass/weeds (or strim 1st if not), dig a couple of big holes where you want your beans to be and bury the lot at least a foot from the surface.

It'll all rot down and apparantly the beans will thrive on it.

Mine went from this (108ft long by 15ft wide)

To this in a matter of a few hours

And if the pub wants some of the produce, get them to buy all your seeds  ;)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2011, 19:50 »
Good luck, just make sure that the pub don't expect a disproportionate amount of your veg - otherwise you'll just end up cultivating the plot for them and not for you  :ohmy:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

digalotty

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2011, 20:00 »
what are you waiting for ,    have you took it yet ::)
when im with my 9yr old she's the sensible one

savbo

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2011, 21:25 »
if it's grass rather than overgrown you could possibly hire a turf cutter? take it down 4" and stack the turves

sarajane

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2011, 22:42 »
Can't believe you have to think about it.  Its only 10.45  -  the pubs still open so pick up the phone and call the landlady and say YES PLEASE  -  I'll take it.

If it hasn't already been taken up you can walk there tomorrow morning , just gaze at it,and feel the proud tennant of a glorious, if not dug, plot of land.  Its a great feeling.

thestens

• Experienced Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2011, 08:53 »
I have taken it - glyphosate goes on tomorrow along with hedge being trimmed back. I told landlady that I would chip it all up with a chipper borrowed from my father. She replied that "Oh theres one of them in the shed ." So may have two chippers on the go at a time ( wife said she would if I could guarantee it wouldn't break her nails or chip the nail polish.)

When for a raid on industrial estate yesterday and got enough pallets to make a sizable compost bin.

Would be on it now if it wasn't for going to visit my aged mother in her care home 150 miles away.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2011, 13:22 »
Yay!  and I'm sure by now you know the rules...... pictures and updates!    :lol:

Caretaker

• Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2011, 13:31 »
Do not go for it, to much hard work just let some other mug do it and you can sit at the bar and be glad it is not you.
I was only joking, the first thing to ask your self is do I wont to do this then down a pint and get digging.
Good luck Reg
I'm lost without my SatNav.

Page created in 0.29 seconds with 28 queries.