raised beds and stagnant water...........

• 12 Replies

mrsparsnip

« on: August 09, 2006, 10:02 »
sorry to keep drawing on your combined knowledge, but I have two questions............

1, I've laid down some plastic where my raised beds will go and am about to source some wood.  how high does it need to be?  i'm assuming I just make a box and don't actually need to submerge it into the ground?

2,  i've inherrited a large water tank that my predecessor left and the water has been left stagnant for a coupleof years............is it safe to use?  is that a stupid question? [hangs head in shame].......................

thank you all again for any help.........

p.s john,  you once said that pigeons are Brassica Eating Vermin!  and it kinda stuck and now I call them all BEV :)  it suits them..........and makes me smile as I cahse them off my plot. sorry to anyone called bev, it's a beautiful name ;)
'what ever I am, where ever I am, this is me' - Hannah Hauxwell

hermon

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2006, 10:53 »
fab name for wood pigoens, i hate them them always make my pony spook if i ate meat i would eat them!! :evil:
as for the water i personally wouldn't use it if it smells definatley don't. empty it out, clean the algea off the inside if poss and start again someone may be more noligable and say it is ok.

stompy

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2006, 11:47 »
I made myself four raised beds in april, I knocked four corner posts into the ground, they were 2"x2", they were to hold the beds in place.

I then screwed the scaffolding boards to them, (dont use nails) as the boards twist and flex in the changing weather conditions, they will pull the nails out.

Then just fill with good topsoil.

As for the water, I agree with hermon, it could hold all sorts of nasties, and for the sake of a bit of water it's not worth risking your plans, just tip it and clean the barrel.

There is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know the answer to something you ask someone, if you don't ask how can you learn.

[You may now lift your head from it's position of shame] :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Oliver

Stupid questions
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2006, 12:39 »
Quote from: "stompy"
There is no such thing as a stupid question

Her history teacher used to say two things the way to hell is paved with good intentions and there's no such thing as a stupid question, just a stupid answer (not sure I actually understand that last one! but there you are. Ask away - it reinforces our knowledge or exposes our lack of it so we all benefit! O
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

BillinPA

Re: raised beds and stagnant water...........
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2006, 17:38 »
Quote from: "mrsparsnip"
sorry to keep drawing on your combined knowledge, but I have two questions............

1, I've laid down some plastic where my raised beds will go and am about to source some wood.  how high does it need to be?  i'm assuming I just make a box and don't actually need to submerge it into the ground?

2,  i've inherrited a large water tank that my predecessor left and the water has been left stagnant for a coupleof years............is it safe to use?  is that a stupid question? [hangs head in shame].......................
quote]

I agree with the others, the only stupid question is the one left un-asked :wink:

As for the 'raised beds', the name say it all.  Don't submerge it, make your box on top of the existing (hopefully weed free) ground.  The depth should depend on what you are going to grow in it......if you are planning on root crops, then you would want it be 6" or deeper and fill with a good sandy loam or loose soil.

As for the water tank, I agree - dump it away from your planting area.  Clean it using Clorine bleach water solution, which should also be dumped elsewhere and then rinse thoroughly. :D
Never underestimate the power of your actions. With one small gesture you can change a person's life.

Bill in PA

milkman

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2006, 18:09 »
I would use the stagnant water on your compost heap - pouring some on every time you add another layer of composting material to keep the heap nice and moist. I think wood pigeons are funny.  me and neighbour dedicated-digger-dennis have a woody that tries to have a bath perched on the edge of a water-filled oil drum next to our shared tap, very entertaining.

Re edges to the beds just find wood high enough to give your beds definition and stop the soil falling out onto the paths, a couple of inches wide should do it.  see my personal picture gallery thingy for pics of my beds - I used any old wood mainly out of skips.  I wasn't so worried about my beds being raised, more that they fixed.  If you can't source the wood at the moment just use pegs and strings to mark the beds out with.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

mrsparsnip

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2006, 21:17 »
wow!  what great advice! and thankyou all for not making me feel stupid :)  I'm new to all this so very happy to able to ask questions without being sniggered at!  who knows, maybe one day I'll be able to answer someone elses question on here ;)

right, will not use water, altough adding it to the compost each time i add a layer makes perfect sense, so thank you milkman! also like your raised beds.  all that wood from skips?  I thought it had to be treated or someting?  i'm all for saving money so will get raiding some skips!

pigeons.  has anyone else noticed that they don't like to be laughed at?

noshed

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2006, 22:54 »
I just used string this year - the poundshop plastic stuff biodegrades just that little bit too quickly to be useful, by the way. I'm not going to bother with wood edging - the paths are quite clearly defined now and it saves a lot of work (depends a bit on your soil though.)
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2006, 10:04 »
Don't underlay your deep beds with plastic or suchlike, the idea is to get a good depth of soil.  Dig over the soil where your deep bed will be, clear the weeds then add your frame and topsoil / compost.

I think deep beds main benefit, when you have enough land, is that they are easy to control psychologically.  I wonder if the effort put into making them is really worth it on an allotment generally.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

milkman

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2006, 12:51 »
John you seem to be under the impression that making deep beds is an effort - it really isn't, unless perhaps you want to end up with the Rolls Royce equivalent of raised beds.  All that is required is to mark the beds out with a few bits of string and pegs and then if you want proper edges (which isn't compulsory), find some material to make the edges with.  Once that task has been accomplished, that's it - pretty much for ever.  Having lived happily with my fixed beds for 8 years now, I would never contemplate managing my allotment along 'traditional' lines - to me that would involve too much work.  But, as they say, each to their own...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2006, 13:37 »
I've got deep beds on 29 and none on plot 5 so have both. Certainly the deep beds are easier to weed etc - you can do a bed in one go whereas the full plot is a bit of a forth bridge painting job.
Taking the paths into account, I'm not sure the improved productivity is worth it and I certainly wouldn't bother trying to grow crops that need a large area like sweetcorn or potatoes in a deep bed.
However, for salad crops - brilliant and you can vary the soil from bed to bed so getting ideal conditions for roots like parsnips and carrots if you wish.
I've noticed my deep beds need a lot more water than the normal beds - but the soil in the deep beds is much finer.

I'm against being totally on deep beds (on an allotment) but they do have their place. I'm on the fence a bit, I suppose.

Anyway, the digging is good for my waistline :)

milkman

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2006, 16:58 »
Unfortunately/fortunately I'll just have to take your word for that John...!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2006, 17:11 »
Quote from: "milkman"
Unfortunately/fortunately I'll just have to take your word for that John...!

No - you have to take my wife's word for it!

xx
seed beds and raised beds...

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post May 22, 2008, 19:57
by woodburner
xx
Raised Beds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 18, 2012, 09:38
by arugula
xx
Raised Beds

Started by Shieldsy on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post November 24, 2011, 19:41
by swaine
xx
raised beds

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 15, 2014, 11:09
by Hampshire Hog

Page created in 0.329 seconds with 36 queries.