Worming Policy

• 13 Replies

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
Worming Policy
« on: August 09, 2007, 21:59 »
I was in Scats today and askiing about Flubenvet for worming. The chap in there told me that had removed it from sale and it was no  longer legal.  They only stock Verm-x now and thats a bit hit and miss as you spray in over food and you can't measure how much each bird gets (pellets available but similar problem I imagine)

He said that the opinion on worming was not to do it unless you were 100% positive that your chicken had them as over worming was causing huge problems.  His thought was that worming was uneccesary and a waste of time

I  am sure there will be feedback on this advice, as a relative newbie to chickens I just find myself wondering whats best :(

muntjac

Worming Policy
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2007, 22:06 »
i can totally agree with him . no point in worming unless you have them as a problem ,verm x is ok just dose the birds 2 days in 5 , make mash with water and barley seed etc . if you dont use mash ,get some wheat /barley chuck it through your food processor to grind it down . water it to a loose paste spray the vermx in and then mix with the seed
still alive /............

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
Worming Policy
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2007, 22:24 »
Still on sale at bestpet

changed the name slightly,
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

muntjac

Worming Policy
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2007, 22:25 »
thats what the estate bought for me for the pheasants etc ,i stil use emetryl tho

Foxy

Worming Policy
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 23:58 »
- in one of  my broody hens humongous poos  noticed tiny wriggling worms, because I was worried about flubenvent and her impending brood I phoned VermX. They were very helpful and advised dipping a tiny peice of bread and feeding her by hand for 5 days. Did this and they disappeared!  Useful if you only have a few hens :) Probaby wouldn't work for for someone like Muntjac it could take him some time to treat what 400? :lol:  :lol:

muntjac

Worming Policy
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2007, 10:00 »
wot me feed birds by hand ur havin a larf , i just dump it in the watter me girl . pack of flub done mine n me nieghbours lol emetryl did the county  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming Policy
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2007, 15:08 »
Verm-x is a herbal remedy (Garlic, Quassia - a tropical tree, Cayenne, Slippery Elm, Cinnamon, Thyme and Peppermint), but it does not treat lung worm (gape worm)  :!:    

Flubenvet is quite safe to use every 3 months if your hens are at high risk i.e. intensively kept.  Flubenvet is freely available over internet and is the only wormer I would use, it has no egg withdrawal period.  Munty's one (emetryl) is no longer available (unless you still have some in your shed  :roll: )

I would agree that hens do not need treating regularly unless they seem not to be thriving in some way, then it would be one of the first things I did.

si-mate

• Experienced Member
Worming Policy
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2007, 11:05 »
Flubenvet is a risky product to sell as you have to be a Suitably Qualified Person (SQP) and sell it from a registered permises.
According to the law you can only sell it to people who are owners or keepers of the species the product is designed to treat and also they must have appropriate numbers of the animals to use the product in a reasonable amount of time. The 240g tub of flubenvet is designed to go into 200kg of feed which is enough to treat around 285 birds so you shouldn't really sell it to someone who only has a few birds.
This could be the reason why SCATS have discontinued it.

Internet or mail order sales are a grey area and as such are not so strictly controlled as face to face sales.

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Worming Policy
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2007, 16:16 »
I bought some flubenvet over the internet from the Domestic Fowl Trust.  Didn't realise till it arrived that it would treat so many birds, I only have three girls so I am sure I will end up throwing it away having only used a small amount of it due to the expiry date!  Also I have found making up the doseage tricky as it is for large flocks so I am having to work out the amount for only three birds which seems to be miniscule! I would only suggest buying this if you have a sizeable number to worm.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming Policy
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2007, 17:32 »
When I bought mine I "shared" it with other hen keepers who only have a few hens.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Worming Policy
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2007, 20:26 »
OK I pinched this from PP forums  :oops:  :lol:

Dear Members - I recently started a thread about Flubenvet dosage but have now heard back from the manufacturer.  I am starting this as a new topic because there is obviously widespread confusion about dosage for hobby poultry keepers (and vets!) because the instructions are aimed at the "big boys".  

Here goes then:-  

11.5gms Flubenvet per 9kilos of food (1 heaped teasp)  
5.75gms Flubenvet per 4.5kilos of food (1 level teasp)  

CAUTION IN THE MIXING  

Mix Flubenvet with a handfull of feed MIX VERY WELL then mix Flubenvet with 3 handsfulls of feed MIX VERY WELL then mix Flubenvet with a large container of feed MIX VERY WELL.  MESSAGE - MIX VERY WELL!  

Then store in an airtight container and feed for 7 days.  

Best wishes to everyone who reads this.  

Tilly

Hope this helps I found 4.5 kgs is ample or 3 birds over 7 days.

Also Auntys idea is great you could always swap shop it.  :wink:

Kazoo

• Experienced Member
Worming Policy
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2007, 21:06 »
Thanks Richyrich7 that will come in very handy!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Worming Policy
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2007, 21:11 »
I have put quantities and methods of dosing in the worming sticky too!

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
Worming Policy
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2007, 21:26 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
I have put quantities and methods of dosing in the worming sticky too!

Never thought of that Auntie  :oops: I should have known you would have already sorted it somewhere.

Aunties worming sticky

xx
worming

Started by chicklady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 18:12
by chicklady
xx
Worming

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 06:40
by Bantymad
xx
Worming

Started by grenhouse on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 09:05
by grenhouse
xx
worming

Started by looe-looe-belle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post September 30, 2010, 10:31
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 31 queries.