Worming with Flubenvet 2.5%

• 40 Replies

Casey76

Worming with Flubenvet 2.5%
« on: January 25, 2011, 22:08 »
Please confirm:

When using Flubenvet 2.5% I should use 6g in 5kg of food

(rather than 6g in 2kg of food as with Flubenvet 1%)

Thanks

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Worming with Flubenvet 2.5%
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 22:17 »
That's right :)

Casey76

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 22:19 »

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 00:45 »
It's 1.2grms per kilogram of feed so you're right.  With such tiny amounts I always use volume measures which are approx 5ml measure per 5Kg.  Which is about 10% underdose.  I prefer to slightly overdose so use a heaped 5ml spoonful, as any food they eat free ranging reduces the medicated feed and hence dose they get.  Also it's very safe even up to 100% overdose.

If you are dosing pellets sprinkle a little corn oil on the pellets and mix well so the pellets are very slightly darkened (not so much they disintergrate) so the powder sticks to the pellets and doesn't separate out in the feeder.  Sprinkle flubenvet thinly on the surface while mixing very thoroughly.  Feed medicated feed for one week and that's it.
HF
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 15:58 by hillfooter »
Truth through science.

Casey76

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 07:02 »
Yes, I'm ordering Flubenvet from the UK this eyear, as the only wormer I can buy here has a 30 day egg withdrawal!

It's a bit much if you want to worm more regularly than once a year  :dry:

pekinpete

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 11:07 »
as well as worming birds with flubenvet twice a year i also put a clove of garlic in water and when it's finished i put a new one in, it also seems to help in reducing mite attacks aswell it could be that it must get in blood some how which mites dont like it must work as birds dont seem so troubled by them, this is only my opinion but it seems to work for me

Oakdalebirds

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 21:13 »
I make a great bowl of porridge , let it cool and mix in 3g of wormer then give it to the girls just before bed each night for a week.
it seems to work and they all eat their treat and get wormed in one go

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 21:46 »
I make a great bowl of porridge , let it cool and mix in 3g of wormer then give it to the girls just before bed each night for a week.
it seems to work and they all eat their treat and get wormed in one go

What strength of wormer (I assume we're talking flubenvet) and how many birds are you talking about and I assume they eat all the porridge you give them in one go?  It's rather important to know this if your post is to be meaningful

For 2.5% flubenvet a daily dose would be approx 0.15 grams so 3 grams would be enough for 20 hens.

The problem with this approach is they get a huge single dose at night and nothing the rest of the day and I'm not sure what effect this will have on the intestinal worms if most of the time they aren't being exposed to the wormer, ie to work for worms in the digestive tract it might be important that they have a continuous exposure for 7 days because they are feeding off the part digested food in the gut which isn't uniformly medicated using this approach

Worms which are nourished via the blood stream will probably be caught as the blood will smooth out the peaks.

HF

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 22:14 »
A single high doseof flubenvetadministered to worms in the gut of a chicken each day will be fine.  It's just easier for large egg production units to medicate all feed rather than have to have a seperate feed containing the medication once a day.

Flubendazole stops worms absorbing food and they basically starve to death in a few days.  It is absorbed and delivered via the blood stream too, that's how it treats lung worm.

Frizzle1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 23:25 »
You can buy layers pellets with flubenvet already in it it's much easier.

Casey76

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 07:38 »
Not in France you can't ;)  :D

Anyway, I think that if false economy.  Pellets have to be used within a certain space of time, and if you are only medicating a few hens, how do you know if you will go through a whole sack, or what happens if you need a sack and a half?  The chances are the rest of the pellets would be out of date before you had to worm again.

jinty1911

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2011, 17:36 »
Am really confused  :blink: Am due to worm my 3 banties for the 1st time next month.  They free range round the garden all day.  What % should I use to what weight of pellets?
Help  :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2011, 18:46 »
I've done some sums for you.

If you are not prepared to restrict your bantams to their run and feed them only on medicated pellets for a week, which would be by far the easiest way to dose them, you will need to know approx. how much your bantams weigh (I've no idea).

The correct dose for any chicken is :

1.43 mg flubendazole per kg body weight daily = 10.01mg per kg over 7 days

1% formulation contains 10mg per 1gm of medication.

Therefore you should dose at 1 gram per kg of bird spread over 7 days.

Not easy eh !

My best advice would be to weigh a bantam or two or more and try to calculate the total weight of them all in kilograms.

Weigh or measure out that amount of grams  -  If you have 6 kg of bantams weigh out 6g of 1% flubenvet  -  which will treat them all for 7 days.

I would sugest mixing it all into a treat and divide that into 7 portions (e.g. dry porridge which you can moisten some of each day) and make sure they all get a fair share each day.

I would not think the 2.5% formulation would be apropriate as the calculations and weighing would be even more difficult.

retribution

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2011, 19:12 »
Aunt sally would that be the same for me ? i have the 1% and will try and weigh my girls to get an idea of how much i need to mix in there feed.

hillfooter

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2011, 19:15 »
Am really confused  :blink: Am due to worm my 3 banties for the 1st time next month.  They free range round the garden all day.  What % should I use to what weight of pellets?
Help  :wacko:

You needn't be confused Jinty.  Basically Flubenvet (hereafter "F") only used to be available in the 2.5% strength in larger drum quantities intended for gamekeepers (or farmers) who needed to worm in bulk.  One tub would treat 200 birds.  

As backyard keeping increased in popularity a 1% F strength was introduced which was easier to measure out for treating small numbers of chx.  At the same time the 2.5% higher quantity (which was much more economic to use) was made only available via a vets perscription or to those holding a mixers license which effectively forced amateurs to use the more expensive 1%.  This caused a hue and cry from many poultry keepers and I believe this decision has been or is being reviewed though I don't know what the current status is.

The bottom line for small scale keepers is that they will find the 1% F easier to use though it isn't so cost effective per bird.

F is used by dosing the quantity of feed your birds will eat in 7 days as a single batch and then feeding this exclusively for a week.  To do this you can reckon on a typical hybrid consuming about 900grams a week. The dose rate is dependent on the F strength you use and for 1% F it is 3 grams per kg of feed.  A convenient scoop is provided to measure out a volume which is notionally 6 grams to treat 2 kg of feed.

The 2.5% being 2.5X stronger the quantity of F is reduced by 2.5 times (or the feed quantity increased by X2.5).  So a 6gram scoop will treat 5Kg of feed.  However the 2.5% didn't used to come with a scoop and weighing such small amounts isn't practical so I use a heaped 5ml volume measure as being approx right for 5 Kg.

Some hobbyists have devised their own way of feeding F, as has Oakdalebirds, rather than medicating a weeks worth of feed.  Some for example put a pinch of F (whatever that is ) in a grape.  If you do this you are on your own but as I said in my earlier post it's relatively safe if overdosed within limits but underdosing might reduce its effectiveness and I don't recommend this.

The reason you only need be worried about medicating a weight of feed is that chx eat according to their size so will self regulate the dose they get, ie bigger birds eat more so get larger doses.  Trying to weigh individual birds and give them individual amounts of medication is just not a practical solution.

Still confused?? :blush: :nowink:

HF
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:04 by hillfooter »

xx
Worming now Flubenvet out again

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post December 30, 2012, 15:38
by Loulih
xx
Worming with flubenvet.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2010, 19:14
by Aunt Sally
xx
Quick Flubenvet/worming question.

Started by IanExMachina on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 26, 2011, 22:14
by IanExMachina
xx
Worming with Flubenvet. Free ranging.

Started by orchardlady on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 30, 2011, 22:40
by orchardlady

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 34 queries.