True Potato Seed

• 28 Replies

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: True Potato Seed
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 19:08 »
I did it one year and got lots of tiny pink tubers. I think they were desiree crossed with other desirees or something else. We ate some of them...just for fun.
Unfortunately I did not think to save the tubers to plant the next year. They were very tiny. About 1 inch long. I saved some seed from last year to try again having seen comments on here, but I think they might have got thrown away. I am not too well organised!! I shall go and look for them later.

In answer to the question of when to plant them I would treat them like tomatoes. I planted mine in pots so that they would not get lost in the garden and then planted them out when they looked too big for the pots.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 19:11 by azubah »

Cazzy

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 19:14 »
Thanks azubah, I'll sow them along with the toms then.

How did yours taste?
What if the Hokey Cokey IS what its all about...

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 19:16 »
No different to the others. Sorry to disappoint. The fun is in growing your own unique variety.

Cazzy

« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2011, 19:22 »
No different to the others. Sorry to disappoint. The fun is in growing your own unique variety.

Yeah, I like to muck about with something new, keeps life interesting  :) and so long as they were no worse than the others then thats a bonus.

I'll probably do about 10 plants and pick the best to save the tubers for next year, see how that goes.

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 19:55 »
When they are large enough to go out, plant them in good soil and keep them damp. I just put mine anywhere in the garden and the soil was not very good. Even then the results were interesting and just about big enough to eat. The skins rubbed off, which was good as they were not big enough to peel.
Some plants produced dozens of tiny tubers no bigger than grapes, and others larger ones but less of them. I really wish I had saved some for the next year and put them somewhere more fertile.
It's only what the professional producers do to get new varieties.

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2013, 11:58 »
This has proved a really fun hobby for me!

(The other Hairy Pumpkin is a spectator on this one, It is still experimental in its stages you see)

I completed the first stage last year from a sowing of TPS saved from Desiree potato plant fruits.
Two very vigorous plants unaffected by blight were displaying promise of tubers, sizes consisting of small conker to small egg size.
After surviving winter in my cold but frost free fridge, they we put to chit a fortnight ago, I intend on growing these in two water butt bases that were jigsawed to 40cm high and see how they crop.
I'm upping my game this year though!
Chaposa, Chieftain and Hedge Rose are some other TPS Ive imported/purchased from TPS pioneer Tom Wagner and will be sowing these very soon into plug trays in a small polytunnel.

For me its the excitement of not knowing what you are going to get, the surprise element upon finding say the next "desiree" that you alone created the enviroment to appear, I like the supermarket potatoes and love buying from the local potato fares my fav heritage varieties too.
I will continue to grow these "tried and tested" spuds, however I like the bigger choice you get by sowing TPS, the same technique that allowed the tried and tested ones to be discovered.
I love the idea of having your own potato, that you grew from seed, that over time has been adapted to your local environment and soil conditions that inevitably you chose from out of hundreds, potentially thousands of seedlings. Buying "tubers" takes some of that fun away for me, I feel I am always relying on someone else for my sustainance.

Something else I managed to do (and is a great way to multiply your genetic base) is to hold back a couple of your favourite expensive saved tubers (mine last year were Edgecote purple & Witchill for blight resistance and flavour respectfully) to grow very large shoots, spray these tubers that by this time will look slightly shriveled for passing there food resources to the shoots, with water spray, when they show enough root hairs gently "snap" them off in one go (carefully) and immediately plant them up into pots(5L is ideal) leaving just the very top leaves poking out above the surface.
These shoots will soon be plants and if you look after them they should bear enough tubers to give you reasonable stock for over wintering towards next seasons effort, without need of a re-purchase.
It worked for me anyway, plus they are genetic clones of the original "certified" tubers you originally purchased.

Have fun while growing your favourite veggies!
x

« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 12:18 by The Hairy Pumpkins »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 19:12 »
Are you doing all this experimentation on your allotment or at home, HP?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2013, 00:47 »

Hi Yorkie, a bit of both probably.
The greenhouse at home will be full by late spring so that leaves some cold frames or the Poly tunnel on the allotment, cant wait! :happy:

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2013, 14:04 »
This gives you some idea of what you get the first season (not much) to grow on the following season.
Should these survive the season then a taste test will be the decider on if there worth keeping.
This season I'm hoping to have a bucket full of these small tubers from the differing TPS thats sown.
I should of grown more TPS last year, just wasn't sure how it would pan out.

HP

:happy:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2013, 17:57 »

The greenhouse at home will be full by late spring so that leaves some cold frames or the Poly tunnel on the allotment, cant wait! :happy:

How will you identify the tubers which might have developed either virus infection or genetic damage during a season?

And thus protect your fellow allotmenteers from risk?

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2013, 18:45 »

How will you identify the tubers which might have developed either virus infection or genetic damage during a season?

And thus protect your fellow allotmenteers from risk?

Good point, I'm not sure I can in as much as my fellow allotmenteers can protect me really, thats the truth.
It wont stop me growing them though, as with any Potato plant or outdoor Tomato plant, the  potential for that plant to get blight for example appears with the sowing of its seed as its a natural host.
Having a "volunteer" tuber you missed on your plot is one thing but if you take all precautions you can the only way not to get blight is to not grow Solanums.
After meticulous care to avoid my "certifieds" from getting blight a few years ago, I grew them miles away from any other Solanacious plants being grown commercially or in any local garden or allotment (using Google earth) and they still got blight, that because diseases are sometimes carried by the wind for miles.
As for the other pests these tubers will not ever be planted directly into the ground and will remain in either a greenhouse or a polytunnel, this is the best action I can take to avoid harboring pests second to not growing them at all.
The advice I have been given is from the few people I know who have been doing this already (one of whom has been breeding Potato's for over 48 years).
Something tells me you wouldn't like to share the neighbouring plot to me  :D

fatcat1955

« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2013, 18:56 »
Seem's to me you have taken enough step's to prevent x infection to other plot holder's so you get my vote Hairy. Keep up the good work and let us know the result's.

The Hairy Pumpkins

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2013, 19:38 »
Seem's to me you have taken enough step's to prevent x infection to other plot holder's so you get my vote Hairy. Keep up the good work and let us know the result's.

Hi Fatcat1955, My neighbours are very supportive so I'm lucky really, I will post up the results, maybe do a photo diary if I can stay organized by starting a new thread topic on TPS.
Thanks for your support.
HP

Bigbadfrankie

« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2013, 21:29 »
I think they use true seed in the steep hills of south america .. they take the small and light in weight seed up the hills to plant and its easy to bring the heavy harvest down the hill. Great idea.
always have a target
and an objective.

xx
true potato seed

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 30, 2016, 21:20
by surbie100
xx
true potato seeds.

Started by LILACSPLASH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 19, 2009, 12:03
by digalotty
xx
true potato seeds

Started by naoval1 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 21:33
by GrannieAnnie
xx
True to seed

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 05, 2010, 15:49
by gillie

Page created in 0.367 seconds with 36 queries.