Gladioli

• 7 Replies

Bill May

Gladioli
« on: November 05, 2010, 22:06 »
I grew about 100 gladioli last year for the first time and got good results I have lifted the corms which are now drying out in the greenhouse and are now ready to be seperated. I am led to believe that you seperate the old corm & new corm using a sharp knife but as this is my first time growing Gladioli which corm do I keep. If anybody can tell me what to do I would be greatly thankful.

Trillium

Re: Gladioli
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 23:30 »
I simply grab the old bit with fingers and twist it off. If you just can't get if off, then carefully slice them apart with a knife, but the twisting is quite easy. It's easy to tell the old bits from the new.

Store the glads in single layers on a bit of peat, coir or just a slatted box somewhere cool and dark but where they won't get frozen. I never tempt fate that way.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 21:53 »
took my plot on with the son in law and he wanted a bit to grow flowers. he put in glads and tulips but now seems to have lost interest.
i did not know you had to lift and dry the glads. learnt something  new. what about tulips?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 22:11 »
Tulips are hardy so no need to lift
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 22:14 »
Some folk can leave glad corms in the ground for winter, if you don't get hard freezing in the soil. If you do, or you're worried, or they're expensive bulbs, then best to lift.

Tulips can stay where they are; they prefer cold freezing weather. Only problem with them is they diminish their show and size a bit each year and will eventually need replacing. I often top the surface with a bit of old manure and flower fertilizer in fall and they seem to do fine for quite a few years. It's also a great reason to buy more, newer varieties   :happy: I adore the clearout sales and often come home with more bags of bulbs than I have space for. I'm at the point where pathways are edged with bulbs, as are around trees, benches, fences, lamp posts, etc.  

sion01

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2010, 22:00 »
Remember to remove the dying foliage of your tulips and the flowers if they aren't species tulips.If you don't they leave a virus (if I remember correctly,well it's something nasty anyway).It won't kill them imedietly but will weaken them over the years.

ecky

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 19:51 »
Cheers Sion.A daft question? Or not? Will bulbs that have been sliced with the spade still survive?

Trillium

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 22:30 »
Plant them out in an area where they can grow but aren't the main attraction. It rather depends on just where the cut was made - sometimes I get just leaves, sometimes I get small flowers. Most people would just chuck them but the bulbs might surprise you and recover.

xx
Gladioli

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 23:49
by Elaine G
xx
Gladioli help please

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 21:44
by Hey Jude
xx
Gladioli

Started by sclarke624 on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 25, 2010, 00:00
by sclarke624
xx
gladioli

Started by WG. on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 12:30
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 32 queries.