Help! my onions are under attack

• 5 Replies

pepper

• Experienced Member
« on: July 16, 2007, 14:16 »
I went up to my allotment today and the snails have eaten the foliage off some of my onions - some have got none left at all. Does this mean I have to dig those ones up as they won't grow any bigger?
Grrrr..... :x
Pepper
monica

corndolly

• Experienced Member
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 19:54 »
I think your problem is rabbits ! ? Never known slugs eat onions !! Try putting net over them ??? They may throw another shoot or two before they die back , as its sooooooo wet, or just resign yourself to the size of bulb you have got and pull them up, dry and store. Good Luck.
Growing organic fruit and vegetables

jennyb

• Hiding in the Greenhouse
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 21:35 »
there's no rabbits around my garden - and i had the same trouble.... slugs and snails were my trouble

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2007, 07:08 »
There are rabbits on the site which may also be having a go but some of the onions have slime on them. I put nets round my strawberries and peas/beans because I thought that it was the birds getting to them but I think it is slugs and snails as well :!:
I may have to resort to slug pellets - I hope those environmentally good ones work.
Talking about pests - I'm engaged in a battle of wills with pigeons and a squirrel this summer. My garden is totally plagued by pigeons and I went out this morning and a squirrel has destroyed the bird feeder again - the squirrel guard just doesn't deter it.  :x
Any ideas ?
Pepper

Trillium

« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2007, 20:29 »
Squirrels adore peanuts and if your bird feed mix has them, then the squirrels will always be after them. Buy only feeds without peanuts and the squirrels should leave your feeder alone. A local bird seed store to me has a formula he calls the No Squirrel Bird Feed and it's simply the lack of peanuts. He sells tons of the feed so it must work. Squirrels simply aren't interested in niger seed, millet, etc.

pepper

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2007, 21:20 »
The bird seed in my birdfeeder is pure sunflower hearts!  The squirrel has obviously developed a taste for them. It can't reach the peanuts beacause they are in a metal feeder
Well, I've ordered a birdfeeder with metal perches so lets see it chew through that  :?: Trouble is it has rounded perches which the pigeons can perch on so I'll have them pinching the seed instead :(  
Pepper

xx
Onions under attack

Started by Enfield Glen on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 21, 2016, 22:01
by Salmo
xx
Help - I'm under attack

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 23, 2013, 16:59
by seaside
xx
Aubergines under attack!

Started by oldcow on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 11, 2010, 12:25
by oldcow
xx
Sweetcorn attack

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 10, 2013, 21:09
by angelavdavis

Page created in 0.348 seconds with 32 queries.