Gladioli

• 5 Replies

sclarke624

Gladioli
« on: August 19, 2010, 13:23 »
What do you all stake your Glads with.  My tall ones get knocked about by the wind.  Ring holders seem to not work properly unless half way up the budding flowers, sticks stick out like a sore thumb.  They are in a pot.

Thanks
Sheila
unowho
Guess I'm organic until I ever need to inorganic

sion01

Re: Gladioli
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2010, 21:59 »
i put a small cane a couple of inches from the bulb WHEN I PLANT IT.If you position it behind where the foliage will be you won't see if but don't try it know you'll just skewer the bulb/corm/whatever.One for 2011

Paul Plots

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 00:43 »
This year I haven't staked any of the 50 to 60 I have growing on the allotment. Some are planted in rows and others in groups where ever there was a space.

The year before I tried to stake with canes and string then 2x1 timber and wire... still had problems preventing them from being snapped. Wind wasn't the problem - it was frolicking foxes!  :tongue2:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

sclarke624

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 16:25 »
Its a shme cos they are so pretty.  Won them in a comp, don't think I would buy the big ones myself because they just keep snapping and flopping.  Not so easy to stake when in a pot, as you end up with a forest of sticks.  Maybe I will dig them up and put each in an idividual pot, dunno how big that would have to be, but wouldn't look as bad if stakes all in a row row row.

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 00:27 »
Its a shme cos they are so pretty.  Won them in a comp, don't think I would buy the big ones myself because they just keep snapping and flopping.  Not so easy to stake when in a pot, as you end up with a forest of sticks.  Maybe I will dig them up and put each in an idividual pot, dunno how big that would have to be, but wouldn't look as bad if stakes all in a row row row.

Had you thought of planting them  small groups in larger tubs? Whack a low growing annual bedding plant round the edges and it could look very attractive with one central stake.

Just a thought  ;)

sclarke624

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 00:00 »

Had you thought of planting them  small groups in larger tubs? Whack a low growing annual bedding plant round the edges and it could look very attractive with one central stake.

Just a thought  ;)

And a very good thought, I may well do that next year, I have loads of pots of flowers, normally, anyway so could stick one in each.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 00:04 by sclarke624 »

xx
Gladioli

Started by Elaine G on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post June 07, 2018, 23:49
by Elaine G
xx
Gladioli help please

Started by Casey76 on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post June 11, 2009, 21:44
by Hey Jude
xx
Gladioli

Started by Bill May on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post November 22, 2010, 22:30
by Trillium
xx
gladioli

Started by WG. on General Gardening

9 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 12:30
by Celtic Eagle

Page created in 0.153 seconds with 35 queries.