How are your chillies doing?

• 45 Replies

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
How are your chillies doing?
« on: July 06, 2010, 14:35 »
I have 25 plants over 6 varieties and all the plants are about 18" high n looking healthy (seeds sown in the greenhouse back in early March). No fruit or flowers yet tho.

How are yours doing for comparison please?  :)
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: How are your chillies doing?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2010, 14:47 »
Right the successes..............I have 1 poblana chilli pepper and it's about 2 ft high with lots of flowers and a couple of green fruits on
1 Cheyenne f1 chilli it's about 12inches high and has flowers and 1 green pepper on  :)

the Pretty in Purple is absolutely cover in fruit but that's an overwintered one ;)  8)

The failures.............Spanish Frying peppers get tiny flower buds, which fall off before they open...so I don't know what's happening with those :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2010, 15:03 »
I've got a cayenne and a tabasco both just over 2' high; the cayenne has about a dozen fruits so far in various stages of development, the tabasco is much spindlier and is only just starting to set. It has also lost some leaves through what could have been sun scorch; can't do much about it as they are both growing in the same trough on my windowsill!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Lardman

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2010, 15:10 »
The failures.............Spanish Frying peppers get tiny flower buds, which fall off before they open...so I don't know what's happening with those :(

Theres a whole list of reasons for flower drop - if they aren't even opening id guess its too hot in the greenhouse for them, 95degs is the top end if I remember rightly. Give it a little more to drink and if you can put it outside during the day all the better.

They're nice juice fruit - when they set  ::)

My Lemon drop has picked up no end since I booted it out of the greenhouse.

Lupin lurcher

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2010, 15:12 »
In one word terrible. Planted in March indoors about 6 inches high, leaves have been dropping by the day oh and no flowers, think I will give it up as a bad job this year. Hope you all enjoy yours tho.

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 15:12 »
mm, I thought mine were a bit behind. I've not overwintered before and intend to try that this year, then I won't have to wait so long for a chilli harvest  :)

Pompey Spud

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2010, 15:28 »
I've 5 Pretty in Purple, all with lots of fruit and flowers. Not quite the vivid purple as in the brochure.

Didn't know you can over winter these. Coolio.

6 Wenks Yellow Hots (Jalepeno shaped) all with about 6/7 fruits.

First try at growing chillies and quite pleased at the mo. Looking to grow loads more varieties next year. Real Seeds has some unusual ones.
Top tip for camping....don't go.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 15:52 »
I had a bad start with my early seeds this year. I lost a lot of the tender stuff like chillis and peppers cos they got too cold even on the windowsill of a double-glazed window. I did a second later sowing for chillis and peppers so they're later than usual but they are picking up nicely now. I've got one cayenne that's about 2 feet high and just starting to flower, and several super chillis which are now flowering nicely and just starting to fruit. I concentrated on super chillis this year cos they're nice and small and I thought I could try overwintering one or two but I've never done this before.

Can anyone tell me how to go about overwintering? Should I keep on watering and feeding through the winter? And will they go on cropping through the winter or will they kind of die back and come back again in the spring? And will they be ok on a windowsill or will they need more warmth than that?

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2010, 15:58 »
Can anyone tell me how to go about overwintering?

Superchilli, you should be ok just sticking it on the window cill. Superchilli do just as well started fresh each year though.

Knight Family

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2010, 16:07 »
Well I would love to say that mine are going well, but the wife went and purchased 2 more pepper plants so that now makes 4 plants and no chillies!!  >:(
Graham = 2x Border collie Dogs, 2x Cats, 1x Wife, 2x Kids, 2x Hamsters and now 10x chickens.

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2010, 16:18 »
Overwintered Hungarian wax - already harvested around 7 big fat red chillies, and a good 5 left on the plant  8)  I put it outside last October as was covered in aphids / greenfly and was sick of squishing.  Got nipped by the first light frost.  Aphids died / left.  Brought it in and about a month later lots of new growth and buds!  Had flowers early January.  Going to try this again this year.

Others sown early / mid Feb also doing well (de Cayenne, and Hungarian Wax again).  At least 8 fruit on each plant - still green but expecting to turn soon.

All on south facing double glazed window, watered only when drooping.  Hand polinated.  5 - 8 inch pots.  Fed once a week after fruit set.

Had a few weeks of flower drop recently also - must be the hot weather.  Might try putting them outside as suggested if it gets hot again, although I suspect that was summer for us up here  ::)

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2010, 16:20 »
Hi Pompey Spud - I'm growing Wenks Yellow Hots as well  :D

These are they

But look at my Tobasco in comparison - not a flower in sight  ::)

Lardman

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2010, 17:07 »
But look at my Tobasco in comparison

I've tried for the past 5 seasons and I've not even managed to germinate a tabasco seed - they just don't like me.

Lovely peppers N.S. - and so much space in your greenhouse !

Springlands

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2010, 17:19 »
My chillies are doing really well - lots of flowers and green fruit - none turning red yet. My sweet peppers not doing so well - a few flowers and no fruit.

chrisjsmith

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2010, 20:49 »
My chillis (from a T&M mixed carribean hot) grown on the kitchen window sill.  Quite happy so far considering it's about the worst place to grow the things.

- #1 plant has 3 chillis on it - look like jalepenos.  About 10" high
- #2 plant has 1 chilli on it - jalepeno.   About 10" high too.
- #3 plant has 5 wirey green chillis of which two have started to go red at the tips.  About 10" high
- #4 plant has 3 HUGE green ones on it.  About 15" high.  No idea of variety.
- #5 plant was started from tescos finest sweet pepper seeds as an experiment - about 8" high, no flowers yet.  Not expecting much from this.

They are all in 5" pots with cheap compost.

xx
Chillies

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 27, 2010, 14:32
by penance
xx
chillies

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 22, 2009, 09:35
by siandc
xx
Chillies

Started by clarebear on Grow Your Own

47 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 18:25
by mashauk
xx
Chillies

Started by carlrmj on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post March 03, 2012, 09:52
by Chiswickian

Page created in 0.307 seconds with 34 queries.