Skip stuff

• 24 Replies

stentman

• Experienced Member
Skip stuff
« on: September 26, 2009, 18:03 »
I am new to allotmenteering and also new to this forum but after reading about "Obtaining" useful stuff from skips I took the plunge. With just a little trepidation I asked the builder working on a nearby house extension if I could rumage through the skip "Dive in he said" the home owner even said come back later if you wish I now have enough useable timber for two more small raised beds, result. Thanks to one and all on here for the suggestion. Skip diving it's the way ahead :D  
« Last Edit: September 26, 2009, 21:01 by stentman »
Stents keeping things open 24/7

If one way be better than another, that you can be sure is natures way. Aristotle 384BC - 322BC

agapanthus

Re: Skip stuff
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2009, 18:24 »
It's great is'nt it!!!!! Nothing better than a good delve!!!
Munty got 17 brand new doors from the building site skip the other day. With a bit of luck he'll make me my own workshop now!!!! :D :D :D

stentman

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2009, 20:44 »
The building job for whatever reason has to remove the pitch roof of the garage on the house in question. So it gets better, my mate has an aga type wood burner thing. The remaining timber is no good for raised beds but ideal for his burner and winters coming. We chat I get the rest of the wood from the skip give it to him, he gives me four galvanised steel tubes about 3 feet high and 18" dia which look purpose built to grow spuds in. :D 

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2009, 21:12 »
Can I just remind all UK members that taking stuff out of skips without the specific permission of the skip owner is theft.  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

agapanthus

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 22:08 »
The building job for whatever reason has to remove the pitch roof of the garage on the house in question. So it gets better, my mate has an aga type wood burner thing. The remaining timber is no good for raised beds but ideal for his burner and winters coming. We chat I get the rest of the wood from the skip give it to him, he gives me four galvanised steel tubes about 3 feet high and 18" dia which look purpose built to grow spuds in. :D 

Nice one!!!!!  :D

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2009, 01:30 »
We rarely see skips around here and when they're about, they're full of nasty stuff because the work crews take anything useful. Now our dumps have posted huge No Salvaging signs at the entries. Some folks just don't believe in recycling  >:(

agapanthus

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2009, 22:25 »
We rarely see skips around here and when they're about, they're full of nasty stuff because the work crews take anything useful. Now our dumps have posted huge No Salvaging signs at the entries. Some folks just don't believe in recycling  >:(

That's such a shame Trill :(

madcat

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2009, 12:47 »
We are on the way to the allotments for most people and the builders have just finished up here.  The builders thought it hilarious how many people would stop to peer in the skip as they went past.  Mind you, they liked it if people took the scrap stuff away - provided they asked me or them; they paid for dumping by volume and weight.  The less went to landfill the better the profit. 

Occasionally it was necessary to be a bit direct along the lines of "yes we do want those blocks/slabs/bags of concrete that are on the pallet/on the front lawn" etc.  It was only the "if you don't ask you don't get" approach ... but lacking in tact!  Nothing worse.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

allstars_princess

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 20:58 »
Not sure if anyone is interested but we are in the middle of having a new kitchen done and have a whole skip of stuff available for the next week.  It has a heap of plastering wire, boards for beds etc.  I have taken what I need but if anyone is in the Croydon area and in need of some wood/wire/piping then drop me a mail. 

I have put a sign out and the metal has gone really quickly but there is loads of stuff there that is useful but I already have loads of! 

:) :)

bullet

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 22:05 »
ive worked on skips twice now, driving the wagons, some of the stuff i used to get, god i miss it, 22 ct gold ring one day, fetched  just short of £100on flebay! loads of stuff i used come home with, my lady used to tut and roll her eyes,

DavidT

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 21:13 »
Can I just remind all UK members that taking stuff out of skips without the specific permission of the skip owner is theft.  :)

Now I always thought that if the skip was on the road outside the property the contents were no longer owned by anyone, so, free to all. :D

Paul Plots

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 21:39 »

Now I always thought that if the skip was on the road outside the property the contents were no longer owned by anyone, so, free to all. :D

I'm not so sure about that..... the position is not the issue, as far as I am aware.  :unsure:
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 22:37 »

Afraid not.  The skip and its contents are owned at that point by the skip company.  The items have not been abandoned within the law of theft.

Zippy

« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 18:03 »
Forgive me if I'm wrong but no-one on this thread said they had taken anything without permission. You are right Yorkie that to help yourself to skip contents without permission is theft, but once permission is granted the skip becomes a goldmine of useful stuff that can be saved from landfill.

Also, if you ask permission you could find the skip owner coming out with further offers, whereas from a quick dive you only get the bit you spotted; a longer way round but with the potential for a greater result.

Loubs

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 22:03 »
I occasionally have to get skips to clear stuff out at work - always have people helping themselves. Have had to tell people to clear off when I've caught people climbing into the skip which is a real worry, as we can have all sorts in there, including sharp rusty metal or broken glass. I also get really irritated by people that pull items out to get to stuff further down and leave it piled up by the side of the skips. But I'm happy to oblige if people ask - actually it's a bonus as it means I can clear out more stuff  ;)

xx
skip diving!

Started by fish on Frugal Living

10 Replies
Last post April 03, 2008, 17:33
by Leaf
xx
Magic skip!

Started by amc on Frugal Living

9 Replies
Last post January 13, 2009, 21:08
by titch
grin
Skip diving!

Started by Quants on Frugal Living

14 Replies
Last post April 12, 2016, 10:42
by Aled
xx
Skip Diving

Started by mumofstig on Frugal Living

8 Replies
Last post March 27, 2012, 21:53
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.139 seconds with 34 queries.