My chook keeps pecking me!

• 9 Replies

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
My chook keeps pecking me!
« on: August 24, 2009, 14:58 »
Just a quickie  :D

My four ex-batts seem to be making themselves nicely at home, trashing the lawn, tormenting the cat, chasing my three-year-old girl, making ambitious plans to escape over the shed, etc etc...

But one of them, who goes by the name of Dolly, simply lays in wait for me to emerge from the back door and then rushes over and pecks my toes or my trouser legs.  It's not a vicious pecking, I mean it doesn't hurt but... why?

Any chicken psychologists out there?  Why does she do it?  It is aggression, recognition, boredom, or simply for her own amusement?  Does anyone know?  Just interested...

Thanks,

Amanda x

8doubles

Re: My chook keeps pecking me!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2009, 15:12 »
You might have food on you, you`re being mugged. :D

snowflake

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2009, 15:12 »
Oh bless they have settled in well, your the one that feeds them yes, well shes just having some fun with you may be asking for more food in her own little way just for fun. Be carefull of wearing nail varnish on toes especialy red or the pecking will hurt its the natural instint.
you get some hens who love human company and cannot get enough of it, others can be timid there all different dont we just love them. :D

Flowerpower136

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2009, 15:20 »
Nell does that too.

Started off pecking at my diamond ring, and now will have a go at fingers, toes, anything about my person that she can reach really.

She knows I bring food, and keep trying different things out on them, so can't blame her for trying.

She's not aggresive, certainly doesn't peck the other hens, so I'm not worried, it's just part of her character.

grumpydad

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2009, 15:39 »
sounds like being mugged for food to me..lol..
sally will jump up on our knees if she thinks you have food..
dont go out with dark nail varnish on your toenails, she chases our daughter because she thinks they are grapes, very funny to watch..lol

martyn

death of rats

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 15:58 »
I used to have awhite silkie who did that. I had to let them go to a friend because of a dog that needed sorting  and she made a friend of my friends son and chased up to him gently picking at his wellies every time she saw him. i would think it is to do with food.
Now retired from the day job and working hard on my smallholding.

JEZZIE

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 16:05 »
We have 6 ex bats, as soon as I get home from work they appear from everywhere, I have to put a child gate up at the back door to keep them out of the kitchen. 
They are much more friendly than more "ordinary hens" They seem to have no fear, one of them is always pecking the dog.

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2009, 16:11 »
Ah, yes, I do have dark nail polish on my toenails at the mo and they do like sparkly jewellery.  Oh no!  Chavvy hens with bling tendencies!   :lol:

And, come to think of it, Dolly has become particularly naughty since I read on this forum about mealworms and went and got them some.  They do the chook equivalent of a gallop across the lawn at the sight of the mealworms!

They do seem to be making themselves at home, although we did have a crisis at the weekend.  The poor girl at the bottom of the pecking order, Mavis, was chased across the lawn and somehow got down the side of the shed and got stuck.  Husband and I stood about for a while feeling useless, tried to tempt her out with goodies (even the mealworms didn't cut it), left her while we went to the shops on the basis that, with some peace and quiet, she'd come out on her own...  Nope.  We ended up in the next-door neighbour's garden, breaking through their fence to get her out.  Luckily, we have a lovely neighbour who adores the girls and who was very laid back about the whole broken fence thing.  And, yes, the sides of the shed are now well blocked-off.

You live and learn every day with chooks, don't you?  I love my girls!

AmandaH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2009, 16:16 »
Oh what a brilliant idea Jezzie!  My daughter, Annie, is three (today, as it happens) so the last safety gate was taken out a few months ago - now we can put at least one them to good use again keeping the girls out of the conservatory!  

grumpydad

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2009, 17:15 »
live mealworms are adored, dried will do...at a push...and small pasta, they have just had the left over from last night, small shells, you would think they had not been fed in a week, and my wife has just cut a couple of grapes up, sally was jumping to get on her knee, .
yes they are really funny.

martyn

xx
Help new chook owner -is my chook ill or broody?

Started by all chook up on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 13, 2007, 12:53
by slowef
xx
Pecking

Started by victoria_plum on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 18, 2010, 07:43
by alancane
xx
hen pecking .

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 06, 2015, 11:06
by Sassy
xx
fly's and pecking

Started by bp53 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post July 28, 2011, 21:49
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 32 queries.