Runs and sizes?

• 6 Replies

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
Runs and sizes?
« on: August 22, 2009, 22:52 »
Hi,

We have ordered our hen house which is supposed to be able to contain 6 large fowl or 8 bantams, about a metre square roughly.  Run is 7ft 6inch by 3ft wide.  We are getting 3 barnevelders.

Just wondered what everyones view on runs generally were and whether it's cruel to keep them in it?

I know all the websites that sell these things say they are fine but just wondered whether anyone did actually do that or if you all let them out sometimes? I'm not sure if I just have a thing about it because my best friends grandma used to have an aviary full of carnaries and budgies and cockatiels when I was little, and I just always remember how cruel I thought it was keeping birds that are designed for flying in a cage.  Now I know obviously that chickens don't fly much at all but even so it still doesn't seem a very big space to me!

Only asking because we have managed to get an allotment much earlier than I thought we would and we could (if we wanted too) keep them there but then you obviously can't have them going off munching on some old chap's cabbages can you!  :o) 

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Runs and sizes?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 23:31 »
Barnevelders are quite big aren't they?  the house may be okay, but in that size run, I'd only put 1!  Can you make an extension to the run?

Our Rocky has the big ark to himself at the moment, and the run part is about 4 sq metres, but isn't really big enough for him.  Looking forward to when he can come out and have his own house and run and a few girlfriends!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 23:50 »
The minimum size of run per bird is 1 square meter but ideally it should be at least 2 square meters per bird. So for 3 barnvelders you would need a run of 3 square meters minimum or ideally 6 square meters.
Staffies are softer than you think.

hillfooter

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 03:06 »
I think you probably need to double the area of run you have there.  Personally i like to let mine out of the attached run which I tend to just use as a covered sheltered area which keeps the food dry and the entrance to the house from becoming muddy.  More a front porch as Auntie would say!  I let my chickens range within an electric net with an enclosed area of 10sq m per bird though this is more than ample and you could get away with 2sq m in a totally enclosed system.

Regards
Truth through science.

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 19:26 »
OK thanks for that!  Garden it is then, I didn' t think it seemed very big at all to be honest!  :o)

Can I ask also, in terms of run sizes, we could make it bigger 9ft by 9ft (permanently) but it would need to have our compost bin in it so would that count as part of run or not?  It's about 3 foot high by about 3foot wide so I assume they could jump on it?  It does have a lid which will be fitted with a lock so they can't pull it all out everywhere!

I was thinking I'd just let them out everyday when I am home and just net off my veg patch and daughters play area so don't eat/poop all over them.  Garden size is about 70ish foot long by about 30-35ish foot wide.

Many thanks.

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2009, 02:32 »
Strange though it may seem providing a low border around your beds of about 30cm high would probably be sufficient to keep the chx off.  A high decorative plastic edging would probably do it.  Even though they could easily get over the presence of a barrier is often sufficient to deter them, though you may need ocassionally to root them out.

Regards

bashful_badger

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2009, 11:52 »
Strange though it may seem providing a low border around your beds of about 30cm high would probably be sufficient to keep the chx off.  A high decorative plastic edging would probably do it.  Even though they could easily get over the presence of a barrier is often sufficient to deter them, though you may need ocassionally to root them out.

Regards

Thanks for that hillfooter, I might try that first then and see what happens!

Also completely rethinking my run now :o)  We have an area next to the garage which is 16 foot by 6 foot and hubby said he wanted a shed there, no idea why he needs one when he already has a garage full of stuff he has barely looked at in 4 years but there we are!  Anyway I really don't see why he can't put a shed where the chicken house was going to go down bottom of garden instead and just have compost box thing next to it.  And then my chickens could have that whole area which would be lovely for them almost 10sqmeters I think. Obviously we'd still let them out too :o)

xx
The runs....

Started by ste23 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 13, 2011, 21:07
by daisy1990
xx
hen with the runs

Started by gaz.grace on The Hen House

31 Replies
Last post March 03, 2009, 16:24
by gaz.grace
xx
Runs - making your own.

Started by bashful_badger on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post August 25, 2009, 21:51
by Elcie
xx
Chicken has the runs...

Started by Boxfanman on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post July 20, 2008, 23:53
by Boxfanman

Page created in 0.192 seconds with 34 queries.