limping hen

• 7 Replies

mias chooks

limping hen
« on: July 29, 2009, 20:39 »
hi all,

i have a problem with one of my hens. she's a buff wyndotte ( i think  :blink: ) and she's a cute diddy thing, bout as big as a pidgeon. anywho, she's about  3 and at te bottem of the pecking order. she had a bad foot, she's only had it a few days, its her left foot and she hops along not using it at all and not putting presure on it at all. when she stands still, she lifts it high of the ground. she can still move and grip with her toes. its all a bit confusing and i would appreciate any help, she's everyones faveourate and it would be terrible to lose her.

oh and should i seperate her from the flock?

Mia
I live with my black brahma cockerel Trophamus and all my other chooks :)

mias chooks

Re: limping hen
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 12:21 »
umm just thought ide say, that since this post she got better, and was eating fine, then about 2 days ago, her limp came back, its worse than it was so we have movedher into a box inside, she can still move her toes, but doesn't like putting weight on the one toe, can anyone shed light?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 12:51 »
perhaps she has broken 1 toe and it hadn't quite repaired itself. Best keep on eye on her or take her for an xray (although not quite sure what could be done if it is broken - doubt that they do plaster casts for chickens toes). joyxx
Staffies are softer than you think.

nzdunn

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 12:58 »
snap, one of my girlies is limping around all over the place, dont know wot shes done, she is using the leg though and is putting weight on it no problem, i reckon shes sprained it.   Hope she recovers soon.  nickyx

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 13:05 »
hi, im sorry to hear she still isnt well. i would pop her along to the vets, even if its just for some pain relief. if she seems happy to move around , eat drink etc, i would be reluctant to remove her from the flock especially if she is at the bottom of the pecking order :(. i hope she improves soon x

Beano

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 13:35 »
I agree with dizzylizzie and take her to the vet for a check over and pain relief.
Our Poppy could not even stand up fro over a fortnight after a strain in August but is now out and about without even a limp. At one time we thought it would have been kinder to have her put to sleep but we are glad that we gave her the time to recover by now. I very much hope yours gets better in time also!!
Good luck,
El.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 14:42 »
one of our girlies willow has a broken wing and dislocated leg. the vet didnt think it would heal and she may need it amputating....she didnt, but still walks with a bit of a limp, more than a month on. i have to say , im sure she puts it on some of the time to get extra treats brought to her!but hey, i dont care, i just want them to be happy :)...dont take her away unless your sure she needs to be seperate from the flock, they manage better than we think wih bad legs :D :D x

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 15:30 »
Have you checked the bottom of her foot - the fleshy pad - to see if there is a problem there.  If there is a black or scabby bit there it could be an infection called bumblefoot.

xx
Limping and looking sad

Started by Honey65 on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 14, 2013, 17:39
by Honey65
xx
Limping hen

Started by Sylvester on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 27, 2010, 23:34
by Sylvester
xx
Limping Hen

Started by stujem on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 15, 2011, 08:31
by joyfull
xx
Limping hen

Started by violet on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 11:06
by Foxy

Page created in 0.193 seconds with 31 queries.