Round up or Glysophate?

• 57 Replies

oldbean

• Experienced Member
Re: Round up or Glysophate?
« Reply #45 on: June 02, 2009, 20:03 »
As I understand it, glyphosate needs the leaves for absorbing the chemical into the plant. Wouldn't it cause a problem if the leaves were cut off?

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #46 on: June 02, 2009, 20:05 »
Yes it does, you need to wait and apply to the regrowth.
Cheese makes everything better.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #47 on: June 02, 2009, 20:05 »
That's right, you'd either need to apply it some days before strimming, or wait for some regrowth before applying it.

Ice - snap  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #48 on: June 02, 2009, 20:07 »
Ice - snap  :D
Please don't say that word. :blink:

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2009, 20:11 »
Aah. Ouch. Sorry  :ohmy:

Riala

« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2009, 00:33 »
Too late.  I already canceled the rotavator coming, Glysophate went on 3/4 of the plot today.

We will continue to dig and shear the remaining 1/4 tomorrow so that we can plant some of our seedlings that i have growing at home.

In 2 weeks, we will tidy up what the Glysophate has killed and then lay cardboard over that area until we need/want to dig more.

Thank you all for your advise, it has been most educational, and I hope you all continue to add advise to this thread so that others can gather information that they might find as useful as I have.

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2009, 08:40 »
Some reference documents for effects of glyphosate:

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glyphosa.htm (a reference provided earlier by Aunt Sally)

http://www.indsp.org/A%20GM-Free%20Sustainable%20World.pdf pages 46, 47, 67. (These are the pdf pages, not the actual document page numbers.

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/glyphosate2.htm

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Issue/pn63/pn63p4.htm

Riala

« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2009, 08:56 »
I am feeling more and more cornered by every one of your post's oldbean.

I understand everyone has opinions and some people do not like chemicals to eradicate weeds, but I am starting to wonder if I should continue to post/read on this forum.

Why are you pushing me out?

oldbean

• Experienced Member
« Reply #53 on: June 03, 2009, 09:15 »
How am I pushing you out? What I write I ensure is not personal as far as I can.

I do have an opinion, but I posted references to documents which I did not write, which as far as I can ascertain have been peer reviewed so people can have a view of all the aspects of the effects of substances used. There are plenty of people here who will support the use of glyphosate, and state that the case for using it.  I have posted some cautionary references. How can people make an informed choice if they have no information?

I won't post on any of the threads you post on anymore, as I don't wish you to feel "cornered".  :)

Riala

« Reply #54 on: June 03, 2009, 09:19 »
No no, I maybe just mis-interprated your reason's for posting.

My bad.  I will ease off from the forum for a while.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #55 on: June 03, 2009, 09:22 »
oldbean always posts his views whenever herbicides are mentioned.

I don't have a problem with that now, but I did the first time too (and, being a newbie then, I was not aware that was oldbean's approach)

In the end I did my own research (having used Glyphosate on occasion over many years previously).

I thought the particular references that oldbean provided, on that occasion [haven't checked these ones] were from sources with an axe to grind and largely uncorroborated.

But no denying the possibility of "no smoke without fire", and who knows if commercially damaging information has been suppressed?

I have been eating stuff from farms that have used Glyphosate for decades.  Everyone here too probably (for those who have worked out how to have fresh veg on the table every day of the year see me later please!)

On that basis use-once to clear land, then be as organic as possible, seems a good compromise to me personally.

I think that helping newbies to getting going is paramount.  Lots of hopefuls start out, and then give up.  That is a significant loss. If Glyphosate prevented them giving up is that worth it?  Dunno. Certainly worth giving them the choice I reckon.

As it happens I have a greater worry about plasticizers from weed suppressing membrane, fleece, debris netting etc. all getting into the soil as the sun breaks the plastics down, and then being absorbed by the plants that I then eat.

Sue33

« Reply #56 on: June 03, 2009, 09:41 »

Hi Riala,

I would suggest you plant up those two beds you have already cleared, what seedlings have you got on the go?

Sue

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #57 on: June 03, 2009, 10:08 »
Thank you for your very well balanced reply Kristen. 

I have locked this topic now as I think Riala has plenty of information to base her decisions on. 

xx
On my usual wander round the garden with my first cup of tea,

Started by mumofstig on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post April 13, 2018, 21:18
by Growster...
xx
Growing flowers all year round

Started by trogg on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post October 29, 2009, 15:44
by arugula
xx
half round baskets and planting help

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 19:57
by mumofstig
xx
Rolawn blended loam topsoil - good all round soil?

Started by Colin1 on General Gardening

7 Replies
Last post July 18, 2011, 16:27
by daisy1990

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 36 queries.