Im so excited but now i need help please xxx

• 10 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« on: March 15, 2008, 15:06 »
Hi all well it looks like my friend and i are going to get at least a half plot at a private allotment (we have been offered the half and possible more depending if people let theirs go) so im very excited as this means in just a few weeks we will be digging and growing yipee!

Now for the help side of things we dont know the size of the plot yet or the position we are arranging a viewing at the moment. What we need to do though is start as much of in pots and grow bags in our gardens as we can so that we can plant out when the plots ready. So my question is this what is the best stuff to start off this way and will survive best this way? What is everyones success rate from seed? Im wondering do i plant twice as many as i need to be on the safe side ect.

All advice gratefully recieved also tips on how to stop myself bouncing off walls with excitement would go down well too.  :lol:

Nicky xxx

compostqueen

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 15:13 »
Decide what you like to eat first, and what veggies etc you buy most of, which is a good place to start with your organising  :D

Many veggies and salads can be started off from seed indoors for planting out later. The seed packets will tell all so have a good read of them as they explain everything  :D

If you prefer, you can buy plants from the internet or garden centre. They will sell all sorts of veggie plants and it might be a good option for you to start with.

When you get your plot there will be all sorts of veggies you can grow from seeds sown directly into your lotty soil.  You won't need to sow twice as many seeds as you need as most seeds these days are pretty reliable but it will depend on the weather, your soil conditions etc. Don't worry about that yet as you've not got your plot yet  :D

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 15:16 »
I have lots of seeds already but alot of them are to be sown straight into the ground im wondering if there are any that you can start in pots ect though as they should be sown now and i want to be ready for my plot. Sorry if i didnt make myself very clear earlier im just too excited!

Nicky xxx

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 15:23 »
what seeds are they  :D

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 15:33 »
All year round lettuce
Carrot's
Onion
Leek
Beetroot
Radish

I do have more but i think they can be done in pots so im not too worried about them. Im hoping i can do the radish in grow bags.

So any advice welcome thank you xxx

gobs

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 16:48 »
Hello Angel,

All year round lettuce - yes, later, a fastish crop
Carrot's - could try later, otherwise will be too big to possibly transplant
Onion - too late to sow unless for young salad onions, but some mature faster than others, refer to packet, also might get a good size for pickling or for next year's set
Leek - yes
Beetroot - yes, but later (apr/may) if getting the garden in June
Radish - don't bother, sow in situ, only takes a month to mature or can eat from a pot, etc for early use.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 17:04 »
My onion says sow march-april so if i start in pots will they transfer well?

Many thanks Nicky

gobs

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2008, 17:17 »
Oh they transplant very well. What variety is it?

By the by that's well worth checking on your carrot, too.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2008, 17:32 »
Hi i have Mr Fothergill's bedfordshire champion and Mr Fothergill's early nantes 2 carrot seeds it all means so little to me right now but this time next year i will be established at my plot and reaping loads of benefits i hope!

Nicky

gobs

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2008, 17:35 »
Bedfordshire you should be Ok with, as it's huge, sow now, still will get decent onions, Nantes is early and fast, so do as prev suggested.

Teen76

• Experienced Member
    • Tina's Plot
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 21:25 »
My rule, and it doesn't count for anyone else, is whatever goes in a roast goes in my plot cause that's all I eat.  I don't like salad so what is the point in growing it.  Like others have said, grow what you like.  Maximise your space!
Teen

xx
Very excited

Started by fallen angel on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 15, 2010, 15:07
by flitwickone
xx
So excited..............

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 16, 2008, 22:28
by Wildeone
xx
So excited

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post June 14, 2013, 22:09
by Beetroot queen
xx
Excited !!!

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post November 08, 2011, 11:01
by TerryB

Page created in 0.344 seconds with 35 queries.