parsnips

• 46 Replies

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
parsnips
« on: February 28, 2007, 10:11 »
hi all ive just bought a packet of tender and true parsnip seed from b&q, it says to sow into finely raked worm soil from feb to may, but as its been so wet recently should i start these of in pots in the greenhouse or just put them straight in the soil also do they have to be trated like carrots ie fine soil etc
thanks
please let me have the good life
cant cope with this one

Digger Parsnip

parsnips
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2007, 10:32 »
germinate them first between wet pieces of tissue

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
parsnips
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2007, 10:34 »
Don't be too eager, things will catch up. I've never had any luck with transplanted parsnips, although some others have.

Wait until the soil has dried out, yes fine soil would be best & definately NO manure.

Disclaimer:
This is my opinion and I accept no responsibilty if things go t*ts up!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

WG.

parsnips
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2007, 10:47 »
Best parsnips I had last year were planted in June after an earlier planting had failed almost totally.  Much less forking (same ground) so I actually wondered if the drier conditions made the seedlings go deeper to get water?? ... and this is what kept them straighter.

Quote from: "Digger Parsnip"
germinate them first between wet pieces of tissue
I'll give this a try digger - looks like a useful technique for planting up any gaps in the drills.

wellingtons

I planted mine ...
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2007, 10:52 »
... at the end of april, direct into the ground.  But I planted them in amongst a row of radishes, so that I could see where the row was cos parsnips take ages to come up.

They did really well, and kept me going up until about last week!

milkman

parsnips
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2007, 10:56 »
I grow tender & true - they are lovely parsnips - I sowed mine last weekend directly into soil that I'd mixed a bit of dry-ish compost into, and immediately covered them with a clear polythene cloche to keep the rain off and to help warm them up if/when the sun shines.

I keep records of when I've sowed/planted things and the end result harvest-wise, and I've had my best results sowing parsnips in early March.
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

rugbymad40

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.activeights.co.uk
parsnips
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2007, 11:32 »
I planted my Parsnips in May last year - two 10' rows - and we have been eating them weekly since November.  We have about a dozen left and apart from a little damage from Carrot fly they have been great.  They were probably the easiest of the veg we grew last year requiring nothing more than watering and weeding.

Be patient and wait for some dryer, warmer weather.

Regards

Rugbymad40
Enjoying the traditional ways and values of life.

muntjac

parsnips
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2007, 12:33 »
ditto all the wait and see's  :wink:
still alive /............

bridgeford

• http://www.tnr.co.uk
parsnips
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2007, 14:08 »
thanks very much for the advice i think like most new people on here i`m gettin a little too eager to get things underway  :?

toptonk

parsnips
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2007, 19:41 »
Because parsnips are tricky to get going,i got told to keep your used toilet roll centers, fill with earth and sand and stick your seeds in them.Leave in shed or greenhouse until germination has taken place Then use a a dibber to make a hole in your plot  and transplant into the hole leaving them inside the toilet roll centers(these will rot in the ground over the growing season) :lol:  :lol: One of the old boys swears by this method,he tells me this way you know the exact quantity of parsnips you will have come harvest time. :wink:  :wink: Has anyone else tried this way. :roll:  :roll:

muntjac

parsnips
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2007, 19:48 »
not tried that tonka but i will just to see if it gives me better plants and rewards

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
parsnips
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2007, 19:52 »
I have NEVER had a problem in sowing parnsips direct into the ground. I've had 3 previous plots in different locations & different soils & they've always come up.

I think part of the problem is that people are too eager to get them in and go for the earliest date on the packet, when the ground is still too cold. There's also the matter of patience - parsnips take a long time to germinate and maybe folk give up too soon!

(IMHO!)

Trillium

parsnips
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2007, 19:56 »
Toptonk, check out John's articles from Medwyn Williams in the articles section. Medwyn always uses ideas like that to grow his Chelsea winners. He may use tall barrels and such, but the paper rolls are excellent starters for snips, leeks and onions.  :wink:

WG.

parsnips
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2007, 20:08 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
I think part of the problem is that people are too eager to get them in and go for the earliest date on the packet, when the ground is still too cold.
I'm with you Digger.  Can't see the point when they don't taste right until after the first frost at the end of the year.

agapanthus

parsnips
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2007, 20:52 »
Quote from: "toptonk"
Because parsnips are tricky to get going,i got told to keep your used toilet roll centers, fill with earth and sand and stick your seeds in them.Leave in shed or greenhouse until germination has taken place Then use a a dibber to make a hole in your plot  and transplant into the hole leaving them inside the toilet roll centers(these will rot in the ground over the growing season) :lol:  :lol: One of the old boys swears by this method,he tells me this way you know the exact quantity of parsnips you will have come harvest time. :wink:  :wink: Has anyone else tried this way. :roll:  :roll:

That's what I'm doing this year Toptonk...and they are coming up nicely. :) Never had any luck with germinating parsnips in all the years I've been gardening....but am well chuffed now !! :)

xx
Parsnips. Whats the rot inside my parsnips? Photo attached

Started by swaine on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post January 31, 2010, 21:32
by philsmith1967
xx
Which Parsnips

Started by nwalch on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 18:25
by Rob the rake
xx
Parsnips- do I dig them up now?

Started by rikknikk on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 15:02
by Pompey Spud
xx
parsnips

Started by jimmytheshed on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 03, 2009, 21:00
by DavidT

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 34 queries.