i have rats in my run

• 36 Replies

Fen

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Five feet above sea level, between Ely and Cambridge
i have rats in my run
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2008, 17:07 »
karlooben
If possible I would aim for a foot gap underneath. It depends on the size of your house and whether your house is on earth or a hard surface. A five inch gap will soon filll up with leaves and other debris.

Bodger

i have rats in my run
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2008, 17:13 »
There's not a nice way to say this, but folks who keep livestock and who don't contol their rats are creating a health hazard for themselves, their family and their neighbours as well. Poultry keepers have both a moral and a legal duty to control rats. People living in the UK in the 21st century die of rat born diseases.

If you have rats, please please take the appropriate steps to get rid of them. :cry:

karlooben

i have rats in my run
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2008, 17:48 »
hi fen , i wont be able to go a foot high as it will go rite though the roof of the run itself  :lol: and if i cant find any help to do this which dont look like i will  have any then its already going to be a stuggle for me to get the shed lifted and its bigger then my last one { 8'6 } .

as for making sure we keep control of rats i truly understand what you are saying mr B  but i have common land , ditches, reseviours , and cementries surrounding my allotment site could  be differcult for me to try an control  any rats . also i  finding it very hard to try an come to terms with having to possibly poison anything as i am a very strict vege and all my pets each and every one of them have all been rescued from bascailly pure neglect so to actaully start killing anything is very hard to do , u  could say that i am kinda stuck .
"Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened."

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
i have rats in my run
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2008, 17:56 »
We've never had rats  :shock:

But we do have the occasional mouse.  I keep a mouse trap set perminently in a sandwch box with a mouse hole cut in it, in a location where mice can go but birds can't.

Rats and Weil's disease, certainly very serious, more than serious - deadly !!!!

http://news.scotsman.com/health/Woman-dies-from-Weil39s-disease.4489928.jp

Bodger

i have rats in my run
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2008, 17:58 »
I suppose it is easier for me, I hate the bdooly things I really do. They make my skin crawl. If I ever have any on my place, I wont rest until they are ex rats. It also helps that I used to make part of my living by killing them. :D

Make sure that a claim of there being hundreds of rats on your allotment  leading to moves towards stopping you and your fellow allotmenteers from keeping poultry.

karlooben

i have rats in my run
« Reply #35 on: December 10, 2008, 18:13 »
i have told some of the other plots keepers that i had one rat in there and they were like well considering where we are there isnt much you can do about it in a way  but i do know some on there mite get a bit funny but until the weekend i cant do anything anyway.

will keep you all posted about this .

Spadefighter

i have rats in my run
« Reply #36 on: December 10, 2008, 21:27 »
Thanks Bodger, good advice.

xx
rats .rats and more blooming rats

Started by muntjac on The Hen House

18 Replies
Last post March 06, 2007, 11:40
by muntjac
xx
Rats!

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

15 Replies
Last post March 23, 2010, 17:40
by RebeccaM
xx
Rats

Started by jaws on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post June 27, 2016, 21:49
by grinling
xx
rats

Started by pawsnclaws on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 14:17
by woodside farm

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 29 queries.