Worming.

• 14 Replies

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« on: June 27, 2008, 20:35 »
Am planning on worming my ducks for the first time ( had them for over a year now), but struggling with the lack of info on ducks. Am thinking I should worm the old girls as they seem a little thin and straggly (could just be due a moult), not laying quite as well (could be starting a moult) and one of the 8 weeks ducklings is coughing very occasionally (could be nothing). Am planning on going with flubenvet, I know its not lisenced for ducks (but is for chickens and geese) and have seen it recommended for ducks. My questions are; does it sound like worming is appropriate? Would people recommend routine worming (don't really like the idea of treating anything in the absence of disease, a practice that has caused innumerable problems in the past)? Is flubenvet peoples drug of choice? Is there a period of egg withdrawal, I have found conflicting info but seems not? Whats the worst that can happen to me if I eat eggs when I shouldn't - all sorts of scary advice regarding face masks and rubber gloves that I am sure I will ignore. Can't find anything to tell me what will happen if I do (feel a bit litte a rebellious child refusing to accept "Because I say So!" :oops:
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

Vember

Worming.
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 20:41 »
Hi Kate i use Flubenvet with my ducks, I don't think there is a withdrawl period well if there is eating the eggs hasn't done me any harm...

Now who am I again?? O yes Vember  :lol:

Seriously I do mine every 6 months ish and if your have never been done I would defo do it as priority.

I follow Aunt Sallys guidelines in the poulty info pages for doseage http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=4348

And either mix with meals worms, grapes or melon which eva is handy :)

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 20:47 »
Ordered the flubenvet and it arrived today. Was having a crisis of confidence as I read my book again that said I should only worm if I had evidence of worms in their faeces. Feel better now, thanks. Will start tomorrow with the flubenvet (have used Verm X but I understand that it is only a deterrent and doesn't treat established infestation).

Vember

Worming.
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 21:03 »
Quote from: "Kate and her Ducks"
 (have used Verm X but I understand that it is only a deterrent and doesn't treat established infestation).

I've got some of that and read the same so never used it !! Always used Flubenvet and in my 3 years of keeping birds &  I've never had a problem (touchs wood quickly  :lol: ).

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008, 21:07 »
Used it regularly and up until this point never had a reason to think it wasn't helping (maybe it was). Still have half a tub left so will probably use the rest up, can't hurt.
All this won't be so much of a problem when I have my large pond fed by a running stream to keep it clean. All I need to do is find a property with loads of space, an orchard (to keep the geese in), somewhere for the bees, a cellar (don't know why but want one) and of course a pond :D . Every time I find it I wake up :shock:

Would be interested to know what other peoples dreams/plans are.

Vember

Worming.
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 21:29 »
Your house sounds perfect Kate you'll get there eventually :)
I don't really have any plans or dreams, sounds corny but life is good at the moment, I know I am very fortunate :)

Can't wait for my runner duck eggs to hatch though  :lol:

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 21:36 »
Life always better with ducks :lol:  
Real life sometimes gets in the way but know things will get better in the end. Got my ducks and my veg patch and its a start. Will get closer to the dream as time moves on, Got 3 years fairly fixed then loads more choice to where I go.

too many girls

Worming.
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008, 22:20 »
kate i think i'm living your dream, course you'd have to put up with my dad, and my kid's.............

too many girls

Worming.
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008, 22:21 »
maybe not, haven't got a cellar..............

too many girls

Worming.
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 22:22 »
or an orchard...... have got apple  trees, pear trees, cherry trees  in the garden tho..........

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 22:23 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Think I've already threatened you with squatting. If you tell me you've got a pond and a cellar will be there in a heartbeat :wink:

too many girls

Worming.
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2008, 00:34 »
we haven't got a pond or a cellar, we do have a lake tho.........complete with canada geese and a boat (small motor cruiser with no engine)

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2008, 09:17 »
I'm not pushy, I could compromise :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

FCG

Worming.
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2008, 16:34 »
There is a large house near me with a very deep stream running through the front garden. It has it's own bridge. I wouldn't mind having that!

My dream is to move back to Australia, as that's where i come from.

Failing that a house big enough for rooms that are exclusively for stuff like a pool table.

Also in the requirements;
>Swimming pool
>Stream
>Orchard
>Cellar
>Couple of Acres
>Undiscovered Valuable Roman remains on land.

I'm not after much..

Kate and her Ducks

Worming.
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2008, 21:10 »
Mike, you might have to fight me for that house :lol: Maybe if we found somewhere with two wings we could share and then there would always be someone to look after the chooks when one is away. Dibs on the west wing :D

xx
worming

Started by chicklady on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 18:12
by chicklady
xx
Worming

Started by Bantymad on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 31, 2010, 06:40
by Bantymad
xx
Worming

Started by grenhouse on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2011, 09:05
by grenhouse
xx
Worming

Started by RTB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post September 16, 2007, 13:51
by muntjac

Page created in 0.262 seconds with 36 queries.