pick-up

• 15 Replies

FatGaz

• Experienced Member
pick-up
« on: June 13, 2008, 22:30 »
I'm looking for an old / cheap / reliable pick-up for carting stuff to and from the allotment - any suggestions on which makes / models I should be looking for?

Thanks
:mrgreen:   GAZ   :mrgreen:

Bigbadfrankie

pick-up
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 22:39 »
Morris
always have a target
and an objective.

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
pick-up
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 22:48 »
Don't go for a mazda B2500 - it just drinks deisel  :evil:   I've just filled mine up today (full 'cos I've got a long journey to make tomorrow) and it cost £75 bl**dy quid!!!

If you do find one, consider a petrol instead of deisel;  petrol costs less and a petrol engine can be converted to use LPG which a deisel can't.

The usual types you'll find on the market are Mitsubishi L200's.  They are big and wallowy on the road, but are very powerful and comfortable to drive.   Expect to pay around £5k for one with aprox 80-100k on the dial.

I've heard that the Vauxhall Brava pick up is good... one of the chaps down the lottie has a crew cab one for bails of hay for his horses, and the Toyota Hilux is very popular too.

How big is the stuff you are thinking of carting to the lotty?  if it's just a few tools etc then why not consider one of the smaller car-type pick ups like the skoda felicia pick up.  I had a skoda a couple of years ago and it was great - always started first time, easy to drive and being a skoda was as tough as old boots!  8)

Bigbadfrankie

pick-up
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2008, 11:32 »
£5k snoozi is not a cheap pick up, in my book thats a major expence

Teabag

pick-up
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2008, 19:47 »
i would buy japanese if you can,i use a hulux for work and have had all sorts over the years ,this might upset some but i would avoid landrovers at all costs,unreliable and too thirsty

new_2_veg

pick-up
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2008, 21:11 »
nissan  :D  :D  :D

we had one fault free for 13 years, was great for a pertol and pulled like you wouldnt beleave

fast too :wink:
2 allotments, long standing back problem, am i mad?

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
pick-up
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2008, 21:29 »
A tax exempt series 2 or 3 landrover?  Easy to fix.  Well if you can't, we probably can and aren't miles away!!!

Gwiz

pick-up
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 06:26 »
I use and old bedford/suzuki rascal van.
I'ts like having a really usefull mobile shed. with locks. :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
pick-up
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 23:12 »
Quote from: "Bigbadfrankie"
£5k snoozi is not a cheap pick up, in my book thats a major expence

Didn't say it was cheap, I said they were about £5k!

Cheap and pick up don't really go in the same sentence I'm afraid... not if you want something reliable that is  :roll:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
pick-up
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 23:19 »
It's a running joke among the off-road crowd that Landrovers don't leak oil everywhere; they're marking their territory  :twisted:

If you're not got at mechanics I'd avoid landrovers totally.  THey are great, but ocassionally (read 'most of the time') have something catastrophicly wrong with a major part of them so you'd end up paying out more for repair bills which don't come cheap.

On top of that, a D90 / D110 pick up will still set you back a good few thousands - I recently saw a 20 year old model, tatty interior, very very basic and it was for sale at £3500.

Something else to consider;  pick up insurance isn't cheap!   most insurance firms think that just because you own one that you must be using it for business purposes and will make you take a commercial policy which is fine, if you're running a business and using it as such.  I know this from personal experience.

handy tip:  Adrian Flux are good insurers of anything 4x4

Tigerhair

• Experienced Member
pick-up
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 07:55 »
Our landy is a Series IIa - bought for £800 tax exempt, very cheap insurance used rarely and always starts.  If you want to go this route, we can help....  :)

si-mate

• Experienced Member
pick-up
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 08:14 »
We've just upgraded up Mitsubishi L200 single cab to a new one so have the old R reg for sale.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
pick-up
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 21:17 »
Ape 50  8)  cheap !
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

new_2_veg

pick-up
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 21:36 »
Quote from: "Tigerhair"
Our landy is a Series IIa - bought for £800 tax exempt, very cheap insurance used rarely and always starts.  If you want to go this route, we can help....  :)

my old 2a was only 250 on the road, they are out there just got to look.  sadly sold now tho :(

BigPaddy

• Experienced Member
pick-up
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 21:39 »
Quote from: "richyrich7"
Ape 50  8)  cheap !

Good call, or convert a Reliant?
Patrick
Hull, East yorkshire

xx
Pick A Polytunnel

Started by The Red Baron on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post January 19, 2014, 18:57
by adri123

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 35 queries.