Fox Repellant

• 5 Replies

greenhead

• Experienced Member
Fox Repellant
« on: June 04, 2019, 11:39 »
Hi,

I have struggled to get a row of parsnip seedlings only to find the foxes on the allotment have decided to dig them up!!  Is there a fox repellant that works?  Why do they dig small holes in my veg beds?

Any advice would be much appreciated, I have tried barriers - bean sticks placed around the parsnip seedlings to no avail.

Mike.

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Fox Repellant
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 13:19 »
They do it here too - never caught them at it but because the digging eventually stops I always assume it's the cubs trying to find the 'treasure' they think is there having been drawn to it by the smell of chicken pellets (blood, fish and bone even worse - had to stop using that completely.)

It is said that male human urine deters them - don't know how effective it is but not exactly a practical proposition unless you're prepared to smuggle bottles of pee to the allotment!  :unsure:

I chuck pieces of chicken wire over young crops, especially if I've used chicken pellets in the area - seems to be enough to deter them and they don't seem to bother when crops have grown a bit bigger (possibly because the smell has gone, or maybe they just learn that chicken poo doesn't actually taste that great!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

johnjsdb

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 15:20 »
I remember Hugh Fernley Whittingstal (River cottage) tied tights filled with human hair to scare off foxes, don't know if it works though

lettice

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 17:18 »
Male urine deters them. Fill a jar and drizzle it round the edge of the plot.
We used to do this years ago, when we put our dustbins (yes the old type, not wheelie bins) out in the rear of our houses. The foxes used to raid them regularly. But doing that trick stopped them doing it. They just moved on to streets or bins that did not do it.
Have done it in the garden for years, just sprinkle about four times a year, and it keeps them away. My next door neighbour does not and they have fox holes and their mess on their paths at least once a fortnight, sometimes more. I have not told them what I do.

sospan

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 17:32 »
We have huge problems with foxes whom have several dens in the hedge in site perimeter.  We came to the plot yesterday to find some of the potatoes in bags had been trampled on.  Previously they have dug furrows across the plots looking for worms, buried things like cheese and meat. Then there is the fox scat ....... not nice

I have tried all sorts - urine, even bringing my dog on site to leave his scent behind but that didn't work. Even tried leaving food leaving food at one of the site to see if they would just visit that part but it didn't work.

One thing we did find that encourages them to dig is - blood, fish and bone fertiliser. Apparently they like the smell of it.

Stewarty

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2019, 12:12 »
One year at our rather large site in Oxford we kept finding single shoes, along with ripped open bags of fast food waste, at many locations around the site. We eventually worked out that it was foxes who had brought them in.
Last year, in one of my giant raised beds, there was a deep, long curving hole dug through my line of parsnip seedlings. At the bottom of it I found a very stylish red shiny leather women's high heeled shoe....

xx
Cat repellant

Started by sclarke624 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 21, 2007, 00:37
by Jake
xx
Cat repellant for allotment associations(maybe)

Started by sion01 on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post June 23, 2011, 23:46
by John
xx
Slug Repellant Mats

Started by lfcevans on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post September 12, 2012, 18:42
by hamstergbert
xx
Quality Slug Repellant

Started by domw001 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 02, 2013, 23:09
by blackberryjam

Page created in 0.292 seconds with 29 queries.