Apple expert needed.

• 8 Replies

Goosegirl

Apple expert needed.
« on: September 19, 2018, 14:40 »
When we moved into our old cottage we inherited an old apple tree which we thought was a Bramley as the apples look like them and are definitely cookers but am not sure. On cutting them open they have a very small core which only has the occasional seed pip. Can anyone tell me what variety they are?
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Lardman

Re: Apple expert needed.
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2018, 19:41 »
If there's a lack of seed your probably looking at a tripod, but identification can be tricky. I'll be looking at picking the Bramleys  within the next 2 weeks , which probably 2-3 weeks earlier than normal.   Pictures are a real help both of fruit as a whole and of the apex and core.

I've found the best way to ID  bramley is by the puree it creates - it really is the "daddy" of apple sauce there is no comparison. :tongue2:  I've put some windfalls with pork this week and even ML noticed when I switched to apple sauce made from the James Grieve.

londongardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 11:18 »
If there's a lack of seed your probably looking at a tripod, but identification can be tricky. I'll be looking at picking the Bramleys  within the next 2 weeks , which probably 2-3 weeks earlier than normal.   Pictures are a real help both of fruit as a whole and of the apex and core.

I've found the best way to ID  bramley is by the puree it creates - it really is the "daddy" of apple sauce there is no comparison. :tongue2:  I've put some windfalls with pork this week and even ML noticed when I switched to apple sauce made from the James Grieve.
Do you grow any other cookers and how do they compare for cooking to Bramleys?

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 14:09 »
For some reason my apple pic didn't show in my post so here it is. They certainly make a lovely tasty apple sauce and fall nicely without going to mush. The peel is the usual green with some red near the top.
Apples.jpg

jaydig

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 17:15 »
Could it possibly be a Grenadier cooking apple?   I have one in my garden and it looks very much like a Bramley, but with a slight flush on some of the apples.  It cooks just like a Bramley too.

Lardman

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 17:20 »
It looks like bramley to me but it's not an easy id.
http://www.fruitid.com/#view/490

Grenadier are earlier than bramley.
http://www.fruitid.com/#view/614

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 17:31 »
Do you grow any other cookers and how do they compare for cooking to Bramleys?

True cookers - not really just Edward VII i think, the rest are dual or desert.  I can't find a better puree apple but I'm still looking for the right apple pie apple  :tongue2: .

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2018, 16:36 »
From the shape, flat but bulbous, it is much more likely to be a Bramley than a Grenadier which is a much more rounded shape.   Grenadiers have largely green skin without the red tinges a mature Bramley possesses.   The large tree size, vigorous growth, large apple size and heavy cropping indicates a Bramley but badly-grown trees could lack these distinctives.   Make sure you give the tree sufficient room and remove crossing and any diseased or dead branches, otherwise a mature tree needs little other care.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2018, 14:42 »
Thanks all. We thought it was a Bramley but it was just the slim core and very few pips that we wondered about.

xx
horse manure expert needed!!

Started by Carollan on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 09, 2011, 19:54
by Growster...
xx
Expert parsnip advice needed

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 09, 2010, 15:25
by Goosegirl
xx
Resident parsnip expert advice needed!

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 23, 2011, 14:57
by rhysdad
xx
more chilli growing expert advice needed!

Started by Norfolkbird on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2009, 23:28
by Norfolkbird

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 42 queries.