Spacing of Strawberry's

• 4 Replies

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
Spacing of Strawberry's
« on: September 06, 2018, 15:56 »
Got offered 21 strawberry plants so looked around for spacing of these and came up with 12 inch either way.

Just got back with a 28in x 10in grow bag for strawberry which has 8 staggered marking for planting.

Going to use raised bed 10ft x 1ft up off the ground on stilts and was hoping to use grow bag spacing.

Any thoughts welcome.

Kleftiwallah

Re: Spacing of Strawberry's
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 18:45 »

I've 'grown' about 70 runners and I'm going to have to ignore the rules to get them in their new bed!

"They do say"...to resist allowing the plants to fruit for the first year and so build up thier strength for the following year.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 20:43 »
It may well be that spacing in the ground can be closer than spacing in a growbag, because roots can go further down for nutrients and water if planted in the ground.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 09:39 »
The growbag spacing sounds pretty tight to me (more like commercial 'table top' growing, which probably involves quite intensive watering and feeding, and probably chucking the plants away after the season ends.)

You appear to be planning an elevated 10' bed but have only one 28" growbag, so I don't quite understand your plans - either way I'd put the 21 plants in a zigzag formation in the 10' X 1' bed which would allow at least some of the fruits to hang conveniently over the sides whilst also maximising the spacing.

My maths isn't up to working out what the actual separation would be but it would certainly be less crowded than the suggested growbag spacing.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Veg Plot 1B

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 14:18 »
I brought just one bag to give it a try to compare with raised bed.

Having used grow bags for tomatoes without great success I am not expecting great results.

Watering will be a major issue if on the plot, maybe use it at home in greenhouse/outside.

xx
strawberry spacing?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post February 24, 2010, 16:41
by gardener247
xx
Strawberry spacing?

Started by adri123 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 29, 2013, 16:03
by adri123
xx
strawberry spacing?

Started by gardener247 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 27, 2010, 16:43
by DD.
xx
Strawberry spacing?

Started by adri on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post September 23, 2014, 10:20
by simonwatson

Page created in 0.303 seconds with 29 queries.