After how many trusses?

• 7 Replies

adri123

• Experienced Member
After how many trusses?
« on: July 07, 2015, 12:28 »
When do you nip out the growing tip of your tom plants?

Adri

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: After how many trusses?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:37 »
When they reach the apex of the GH or beyond :ohmy: (cordons) or if they still look as if they want to continue flowering by the time September arrives (cordons and bushes.)

Not very scientific, and not very exact, but it works for me, although some late fruits invariably have to be ripened off the plants indoors.  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 12:44 »
I don't......
I let them carry on 'til they run out of steam.
Some just carry on late into the year - especially my Black Cherry, which I allow to grow horizontally on a wire once it reaches the ridge. It seems a little more cold tolerant and gives me late fruit when the others have finished.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 12:45 »
I'm a bit like that too.  Although when my tunnel had a cover on it, they did get a bit tall!  But, yes, when I'm picking later in the season and have loads of green ones.  Then I get rid of the top and all the other flowers so the plant can concentrate on ripening what its got!    :)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2015, 13:01 »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

adri123

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2015, 14:41 »
Thanks for the replies.

My problem last year was the tunnel and supporting canes were'nt high enough and I ended up with cordon varieties that went up to the roof and then bent over by the polythene.  It looked a mess but gave loads of toms.

I think I'll nip out the tips when the plants get to the polythene this year and see how that goes.  I think that should give me around 9 to 10 trusses per plant.

Adri

Lardman

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2015, 14:58 »
Some of mine have already reached the roof, rather than training them up to the apex this year I'm pinching them out and training a low side-shoot as a second cordon.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2015, 21:58 »
I only take the tops off around September until then I squeeze every last tomato out! We use string tied to a wire running the length of the greenhouse/poly tunnel. As the plant reaches the roof we loosen the string gradually to lower the plant without bending the stem and this seems to work. Depending on light quality we keep growing until late October, any green tomatoes are the taken into the house and if they don't ripen we make green tomato chutney!

xx
Supporting Tomato Trusses

Started by Markjp on Growing in Greenhouses & Polytunnels

14 Replies
Last post August 21, 2011, 08:25
by joyfull

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 36 queries.