Strawberries

• 8 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Strawberries
« on: March 08, 2014, 05:48 »
There are 2 rows of strawberries on our plot from the previous owner. We want to move them to a small bed at the top of the plot (as shown)
What do I need to add to the soil for them how do i replant them do i use the main plant or runners or both and how do i prevent them being eaten by slug snails and puppy dog tails. :D
I have seen straw being used so wondered how that method worked.

Ma x
IMG_0595.JPG
IMG_0573-001.JPG

Beetroot Queen

Re: Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33 »
I take no care at all with my strawberries, I am meaner than the grinch with them. I yank them up and throw them back on the soil and in some instances I dont even really re- plant I just let them get on with it. The plants just keep going and going. I will be moving some today and no plans or treats for them will be used lol

I probably do it all wrong but I cant seem to ever kill off a super strawberry.  :blush: maybe if I try loving them thats the secret. I usually kill all house plants with love.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 06:36 »
I take no care at all with my strawberries, I am meaner than the grinch with them. I yank them up and throw them back on the soil and in some instances I dont even really re- plant I just let them get on with it. The plants just keep going and going. I will be moving some today and no plans or treats for them will be used lol

I probably do it all wrong but I cant seem to ever kill off a super strawberry.  :blush: maybe if I try loving them thats the secret. I usually kill all house plants with love.

:lol: :lol: A woman after my own heart. House plants were always doomed when I had them but my fingers must be turning green coz I have had 3 orchids now for 2 years and that is a record for me.
Wonder what hubby will think if I start throwing the strawberries around  :lol:

m1ckz

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 06:40 »
i planted my runners from last year under black membrain...im hoping no weeds this year  there looking ok at the moment..i did put a load of muck on the bed

Ma Lowe

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 06:52 »
i planted my runners from last year under black membrain...im hoping no weeds this year  there looking ok at the moment..i did put a load of muck on the bed

I was thinking of putting the membrane down but we have some couch grass o the plot and no doubt there is still some in the bed for the strawberries, will it just grow under the membrane?

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 10:57 »
Mine grew really well last year when grown through a membrane, I got a better crop from those on the ground than those in the raised beds and the membrane kept the slugs at bay and the fruit dry.
Strawberry For Forum.jpg

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 12:02 »
Plant the runners in a separate line to the older plants so that you do not lose track of what is due to be replaced.

In my garden the worst offenders for eating the strawbs were woodlice (not counting the blackbird that is grudgingly allowed some) .

A dusting of blood,fish and bone in the hole when planting will get them growing but stop fertilising when the first fruit appear.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 21:13 »
I'm from the same Strawberry School as BQ. I dug all mine up last year, split the big crowns into smaller plants, left them in tiny pots for months and when I put them in the ground they gave me a huge crop.

I have one bed through membrane and one with just earth. The membrane is easier for making sure the runners don't root everywhere and for weeding.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2014, 21:21 »
Thank you everyone. We will be sorting the strawberries tomorrow :D

xx
Strawberries

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 08, 2008, 20:51
by richyrich7
xx
Strawberries

Started by paj on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 05, 2008, 03:29
by Trillium
xx
strawberries

Started by samuria on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 24, 2019, 16:29
by rowlandwells
xx
Strawberries

Started by noshed on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2006, 20:11
by John

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 36 queries.