Worming week.

• 12 Replies

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
Worming week.
« on: October 10, 2013, 08:22 »
It's the last day of worming week :( - my little girls have been in the shed so only medicated food for 7 days..  I find ths so hard (hate seeing them not free) and the Flubenvet info said I couild mix a stronger dose and allow free ranging.  I got divided opinions on this when I asked on here before....

I put a dog cage outside their door to make a small run for them but they didn't want to go in it.....

Do others allow free ranging?
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

barley

Re: Worming week.
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 09:45 »
Hi nerdle

I 've posted this before but incase you didn't read it here it is again

I use flubinvet - I put a scoop full in a plastic container with a lid ( Chinese takeaway tub will do ) fill it with hulled sunflower seeds put lid on a give it a good shake

the flubinvet sticks really well to the seed - you can see a good dusting stuck to the seed ,  offer it to the girls first thing in morning and again in the evening - you watch them scoff it down no probs

do that everyay for a week and you know they had a good dose

no need to shut in shed for the rest of the day if you know they have had some daily

works for me so hope it does for you  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 10:40 »
mine free range whilst being wormed, I have no choice in this as some sleep in our trees. I have never had a problem with worms.
Staffies are softer than you think.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2013, 12:46 »
Barley - that's so great - I must have missed that and this will be their last day in a shed ever!  Will follow your advice - its just the amount I'm not sure of - can too much F be a problem?

Should I throw away the uneaten mediated stuff now or shoul they finish it over the next week or so...?

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2013, 13:01 »
So happy to let them out! :)  They love sunflower seeds!

I recall reading 'no freeranging during worming' in my 'flubenvetting' thread and my old girl died of something in Jan - I suspected worms.....

Shouldv'e asked sooner.

helens-hens

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2013, 13:28 »
I mix flubenvet in with some pellet porrige which they have first thing in the morning and enjoy.

The only thing I am never sure about is the amount of Flubenvet to use - it is a bit tricky with such small quantities. I tend to give them the tip of the end of a teaspoon each, for 7 days. This seems to have worked so far but if anybody has a more accurate way to do it I would be interested to hear!
Helen

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 13:46 »
I'll calculate how much they need per day by weighing their left over feed etc.  Wll advse for three young pekins anyway...

barley

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2013, 20:44 »
I just let them eat the dusted sunflower seed for a few minutes

the main thing is they get a small dose for a week to make sure if worms are present the flubinvet can work

I just put one of those scoopful spoon thingys that come with flubinvet in with the seed - and you can add more seed to the dust that's left in the bottom of the tub and shake it up again to coat the new seed for the next days dose

does that make sense ?

it works for me and I don't seem to have a worm problem or overdosed chooks  :lol:

ehs284

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 09:14 »
Thanks for information. I've always stuck to the 'keep them in' rule and felt guilty. Will give them a go with the Barley method next week.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2013, 13:50 »
I always use the pre-mixed Flubenvet in layers now, a lot less hassle than mixing it yourself.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Jomtie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2013, 12:12 »
We have just changed to the premixed Flubenvet in layers too. So much easier to just fill up the food container for 7 days, especially as I was never sure exactly how much to give them so as not to over or under dose. We were a bit worried that they wouldn't eat the food as it was different but they ate just as much as usual. Easy peasy!!  :)
Hens - Clara (Bluebell) & little newbies Martha (Black Sussex) & Dora (Speckled Maran)
RIP Margot, Geraldine, Hettie,  Ruby & Tilly :(
Cats - Herbie (LH black moggy) Louie (Seal Point Ragdoll) Jazzi (Dilute Torbie) Peggy (g&w stray)
RIP Ollie (Seal Point Ragdoll) :(

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 09:08 »
when dosing chooks it is difficult to ensure that they get the right amount to be effective, no doubt this is allowed for in the dosing given by the manufacturers. Please note that to under dose will eventually result in the active ingredient in the wormer becoming useless as the worms will evolve in such a way that it will no longer work. There is only one licensed wormer for chickens in this country and it must be used responsibly to ensure that it remains viable for us all.

There have been past posts that explain why it is necessary to keep your chickens in during treatment and that getting a days ration on a grape or similar is not as effective as administering as per the manufacturers instructions. :ohmy:
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 10:25 »
I'm thinkng next time...  work out how much they need to consume per day each (not easy I know) a meidcated grape for brekky, medicated feed on tap and some medicated sunflower seeds as afternoon treat.  If its not overdoing it then acees to grass etc would surely e a good thing for them...?

xx
Worming week - hell!

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post December 01, 2013, 21:28
by SimonS
xx
Integrating 4 week and 3 week chicks

Started by Chickway on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 08:19
by Chickway
smiley
Help - New 1 week old chicks arriving next week!

Started by Stablechooks on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 12, 2009, 23:16
by Poolfield2
question
Worming?????

Started by Topscaff on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post December 29, 2013, 08:49
by ghost61

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 32 queries.