Hanging baskets.

• 11 Replies

Stree

Hanging baskets.
« on: June 06, 2013, 11:21 »
The problem I usually have with hanging baskets is drying out, so this year I am going to try filling them with the compost from the Levingtons giant planter tomato bags, along with a 16 inch water retaining mat.
Some water retaining crystals as well.
If that doesn't do it I will give up with hanging baskets.
Oh and a few surfinias and lobelia in the baskets as well...

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: Hanging baskets.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2013, 12:33 »
I know what you mean Stree, but I have plenty of water gel in mine, plus watering twice a day when its really hot.

Not that I have many. At the moment I only have 3 with tomatoes in, and 4 hanging pouches, 3 with strawberries and 1 with trailing flowers in.  Then I have my 2 big hay racks on the wall, all with lots of water gel in!  :)

Beetroot queen

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 12:51 »
I know what you mean Stree, but I have plenty of water gel in mine, plus watering twice a day when its really hot.

Not that I have many. At the moment I only have 3 with tomatoes in, and 4 hanging pouches, 3 with strawberries and 1 with trailing flowers in.  Then I have my 2 big hay racks on the wall, all with lots of water gel in!  :)

Hay racks ooooohhhhh can we have a pic please, my vertical gardening head is ticking away

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 13:23 »
I always put a shallow plastic dish at the bottom of mine and a small water bottle through the middle of the basket so I can fill it up - plus line the baskets with old compost bags with a few holes poked in - more of the water stays in place then  ;)

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 16:25 »

Hay racks ooooohhhhh can we have a pic please, my vertical gardening head is ticking away

This year's not grown much yet, but here is an earlier pic before the flowers grew too long!

Mmmmm, they are the only ones I can find.  I was sure I'd taken some when they grew longer!  The flowers that is, not the hay racks! lol

The goats used to use them, but when they went, I moved the racks to the wall!  ;)
hay rack june 06 01.JPG
hay rack june 06 02.JPG

kentishgal

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 18:28 »
Ive just put sedums in mine. That way if they get too dry it wont matter! :)

Goosegirl

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2013, 13:14 »
Where I live, it can be so windy that you can actually hear your hanging basket knocking against the wall and window - but - I WON'T GIVE UP!!! I have tried using a suitable-looking liner for the outside, then a used cut-up compost bag with one punctured small hole in the bottom. Then a saucer goes in the bottom of this before I put the compost in with water-retaining gel and feed granules. The compost is well-firmed in before planting and more is added as needed. I leave it in the greenhouse with both doors open so the plants can get their roots established before putting out and hanging up. Despite daily watering, have I triumphed - no! The winds here dry out the foliage so quickly that they can't recover, no matter how much watering you do. This year, I am trying Portulaca as they are supposed to like really dry conditions. Watch this space!  ::)
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Stree

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2013, 16:47 »
Strangely enough I am trying Portulaca, ( Moss rose.) too. Along with Livingstone daisies, in the window boxes ( or are they hayracks?..not sure ) at the front of the cottage because its south facing and being outside gets forgotten too often. Just watered twice this month and all daisies  flowering well but portulaca is very slow...

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 13:08 »
My portulaca are healthy-looking but slow too, but I think they flower a bit later on anyway. Tried L. daisies in baskets and window boxes before with mixed success, probably because other plants in there liked different conditions?

Stree

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 15:29 »
The portulaca and the L Daisy both do OK on poor soil and like full sun, and are drought resistant, both being succulent. Working fine together for me so far.

kentishgal

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 15:02 »
My portulaca is growing really well! Lots of flower buds appearing at the moment.

Totty

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2013, 16:27 »
Heliotrope, lobelia, and a geranium in my two. First two I've done. Lined em with moss and put plenty of gel crystals in em so fingers crossed.

Totty

xx
Hanging baskets what to do

Started by Bobbie on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post September 01, 2009, 18:07
by Goosegirl
xx
Hanging Baskets

Started by Bluedave on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post March 08, 2011, 07:12
by Bluedave
xx
Hanging Baskets

Started by Phoenix on General Gardening

6 Replies
Last post April 21, 2006, 07:00
by Phoenix
xx
Hanging baskets

Started by digalotty on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2016, 21:17
by DANNY

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 29 queries.