Building raised beds - lengths of boards, transporting boards to lotty

• 9 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
I inherited some raised beds which are about 2.5 metres long.  I wont to build a few more, but longer. Wickes do decking boards over two metres, but of course it would not fit in my car. Have any of you built long beds by using two lengths butted together?

Same applies to if I decide to build 2.4 metres, not sure I would be able to fit them in a fiesta!

Any advice appreciated.

davejg

• Experienced Member
Roof rack? before you buy try free-cycle, I've just got over 100 just for asking (now everybody on the lottie is asking if i want them).

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Thanks a lot.  Any thoughts on using two lengths butted up together to make length longer?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
you could have them delivered to your allotment site, I think Wickes charge a lot though  :unsure:

As long as you use pieces horizontally behind, as well as pieces down into the soil to stop movement - there's no reason not to but the pieces.

The longer you make the beds the more likely you are to walk on them, rather than walk around, though.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Wickes charge to deliver, but the discount on the bulk buy of 20 or more roughly equates to the delivery charge. So it's up to you. Been and Q'd are cheaper, but don't deliver in my area.

I have an Mx5 and can get 3.6m floorboards in with the roof down, which I got off freecycle. I don't think I'd dare 4.8m boards, it's hairy enough with those. :lol:

My beds are an assorted bunch of lengths tacked together to make the size I want, usually 4-5m long and 1-1.2m wide. It does work ok. One tip I have is not to put the stakes too close together as it makes the inevitable weeding out of couch/creeping buttercup/insert weed of choice really difficult.

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Wickes charge to deliver, but the discount on the bulk buy of 20 or more roughly equates to the delivery charge. So it's up to you. Been and Q'd are cheaper, but don't deliver in my area.

I have an Mx5 and can get 3.6m floorboards in with the roof down, which I got off freecycle. I don't think I'd dare 4.8m boards, it's hairy enough with those. :lol:

My beds are an assorted bunch of lengths tacked together to make the size I want, usually 4-5m long and 1-1.2m wide. It does work ok. One tip I have is not to put the stakes too close together as it makes the inevitable weeding out of couch/creeping buttercup/insert weed of choice really difficult.

What do you mean by not putting the stakes too close together?  I thought you just put one little stake in each corner, to which you nail / screw the boards to...

surbie100

You asked about making beds longer by adding more boards butted together. Most of my beds are like that now.

If you're increasing the length by adding additional boards, each board will need a stake at the beginning and end of the length. So a bed of 2 boards long will need 4 stakes along its length. I've made my stakes from 'reclaimed' wood that is 2x2inch and they are about a foot long (6 inches for the board depth and 8 inches into the soil).

You could join 2 lengths of board to 1 stake along the length of the bed, but this would need to be wider to hold them steady. For me, the other way is easier.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2013, 20:17 by surbie100 »

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Ah I see.  So if using 4 stakes for two lengths of wood, do you mean the two in the centre should not be too close together?

surbie100

Yep.  :)

At least I find it hard to get the weeds out of the crannies, so I'm not leaving them any.  :)

beaker141

I've joined a 4.8m to a 4.0m to make 8.8m * 1.2m raised bed. Like others I've used 2*2 stakes, but on the join, I've used 4*2 so each board has 2" of the stake.

Its ok, ideally you would overlap a decent length of your bed board over the edge too for extra support, but I havent as it would slightly change the appearance against my OCD tendancies

XXXX  (4*2)
---------------------------------  (Main planks)
         ----------------  (Extra piece say foot long)

Incidently - I got the 4.8m planks in a Skoda Octavia estate!

xx
Scaffold Boards?

Started by apes1978 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post August 11, 2006, 12:19
by apes1978
xx
Bristol - Scaffold Boards

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post June 19, 2008, 10:58
by GaryH
xx
Is this wood suitable for building raised beds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post September 29, 2008, 17:55
by woodburner
xx
black exhibition boards for show

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 02, 2010, 21:30
by LivvyW

Page created in 0.358 seconds with 38 queries.