Advice? Holes in Twin-Wall Polycarb sheets (Greenhouse)

• 8 Replies

Doddy

• Always learning
Advice? Holes in Twin-Wall Polycarb sheets (Greenhouse)
« on: February 02, 2013, 13:27 »
I've had a 8x6" greenhouse on the allotment for around 2 years now. I've just been down to the plot to wash this through with Jeyes, only to find many of the panels - particularly the roof sheets, with small holes developing (maybe 4mm in diameter) - exclusively over the channels (not the internal ribs), and only on the outer-side.

What the hell has caused this? (I'm only now wondering ash?... nah, unlikely) - UV degregation? over 2 years??

One major problem I have is that the construction is such that the panels slide into the aluminium extrusion during construction, so replacement = complete disassembly (or at least removing the roof construction - not something I particularly fancy doing.

Is there anything out there that could be used to reinforce this for a season or two?, some form of horticulturally-friendly sticky-backed plastic sheet that I could apply to the outer surface?

Any help :) ?

Mike

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Advice? Holes in Twin-Wall Polycarb sheets (Greenhouse)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 14:24 »
Probably hail that caused them  :( Ypu could try the clear tape used to repair polytunnels

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 14:39 »
Hail?, that makes some sense. Perhaps the plastic was brittle in the cold; It'd explain the single-direction impact, and the outer face only. You may have a good point.

Plastic repair tape for tunnels?, that's an equally good thought. Particularly as half the reason I was down there was to measure what space I could fill a PT with :)

Many thanks MoS: More wisdom than myself.

donco

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 13:06 »
where did you get it?
mine is from Waltons (or Mercia Garden Products) and has HUNDREDS of small holes!

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2014, 15:30 »
I have this twin-wall polycarb sheeting.

After a chat with some other gardeners, we thought it was UV degradation making it brittle and then the holes punctured by hail.

I'll post a pic later.

...later...

You will be able to see the side that had had the UV exposure and hail stones and the inside which has not. Images are sideways/longways of a cold frame.

Some panels I have 'reversed' so the inside is outside - thus giving a little extra life of the cold frame.

DSCF0053.JPG
DSCF0054.JPG
« Last Edit: October 31, 2014, 20:09 by Kevin67 »
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2014, 16:13 »
where did you get it?
mine is from Waltons (or Mercia Garden Products) and has HUNDREDS of small holes!

donco, Doddy hasn't posted since March 2013, so it's very unlikely you'll get an answer.

cadalot

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2014, 17:47 »
Get a tube of translucent silicon squirt it in the hole and then smooth of with a damp rag.   

spud

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2014, 22:43 »
could be hail, but what about .22 air rifle? though perhaps it may have went through both skins, unless they were shooting from quite a distance away....
Best Regards,

spud

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2014, 15:17 »
 ::)
I do have to laugh sometimes.
Hail or frogs, which is it ? :D

The sparks will be flying on Wednesday, watch out.

Page created in 0.168 seconds with 36 queries.