7 sick hens.....................can you advise?

• 43 Replies

birds in a basket

Re: 7 sick hens.....................can you advise?
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2010, 22:02 »
Tamnwill - maybe you had better email me the name of that farmer - I live about 20 miles from you and haven't bought my chucks yet..................need I say more - one to avoid I think. Hope things are recovering for you!  :)
Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional!

hillfooter

« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2010, 23:27 »
Best of luck Tamnwill.
 If you were a breeder or had other chx I would definitely advise you to cull these birds but you are obviously a committed and caring animal lover and I don't blame you for nursing these chx.  I'm sure with the a/b and some sensible husbandry you will get them through this.  However don't over fuss them with attention however caring.  What you might think is being kind to them could be causing them extra stress and relieving stress is an important aspect of nursing sick birds.  So I'd not overdo the nose wiping etc.  It will only make a cosmetic difference anyway and could be causing them extra stress catching them and restraining them while you do it.  Leave them to be chx and just handle them when needed to administer the medication.
All the best
HF
Truth through science.

tamnwill

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2010, 02:59 »
OK, will do, the two most affected have made a dramatic improvement just 12 hours after the jab! Thank goodness. I have a friend who is a vet nurse and keeps chickens and when she came over she couldn't believe how easy it was for me to catch them! I didn't realise it could be difficult..........they don't even mind if on occasion when i move them aside a little to see if they have laid any eggs, they just lift their bottoms and stay there!! I guess it's because I am always around and interacing with them..........so they follow me about and actually charge out of the coop in the morning and try and follow me back into the house...........or, I'm just lucky. But yes, I've learnt with other animals to address situations from their perspective, not mine, however 'kind' one would think it was. Hopefully I will be able to find the charger for my camera so I can post some pix of my happy hens.............typical girl, I know lol. xx   

tamnwill

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2010, 10:42 »
 :( Lost my Marron over night!!! Shame. Gave the others scrambled eggs and cat food this morning and they loved it, so that's at least some positive news! x

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2010, 10:55 »
so sorry tamnwill xx
Staffies are softer than you think.

spider

• Winner - Pumpkin Competition 2012
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2010, 10:59 »
 :(

Hope the rest get better

Spider

tamnwill

« Reply #36 on: March 23, 2010, 12:27 »
My six remaining chooks are doing well  :) I've asked the vet for the remaining 3 days of the max allowed of antibiotics (baytril) I can give them, to allow them to have 10 days treatment not just 7. Thanks for the advice of the cat food and feeding back their eggs scrambled..................they go bonkers for it  :D Hopefully this will be the last of this unfortunate episode eh! Thanks for all your wonderful advice  ;) Tamsin 

Jeanette

« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2010, 15:01 »
So pleased that they are getting better. All ther prayers were answerd when they came to live with you.

hillfooter

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2010, 03:17 »
So pleased that they are getting better. All ther prayers were answerd when they came to live with you.

Hey Tamnwill.... I keep praying I'll win the lottery!  Got any room left in your chicken house??
HF

tamnwill

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2010, 03:19 »
 :(  you may not wish to share the coop as Little Mo my ancona came down with a watery eye again, so i took her to the vets and when there I noticed she has something in the corner or her eye (yellowy) we tried to get it all out but in the end she had to have a whiff of gas so they could remove it. Turns out it looks like hard puss, so they gave her 5 more day of Baytril and some eye antibiotics for me to administer and popped some anesthetic in there for pain relief and now she is in the conservatory looking bright but sore! Bless  :wub:!!!! The others def' seem to be on the road to recovery and show no signs of the illness of past..................I'm hoping this is just a bit of the infection that managed to get deeper in and is old, that's why it is hard puss and not oozing????..................... :blink: "lovely", sorry if you were tucking into your scrambled egg :ohmy:..............thanks in advance xxxx
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 09:32 by tamnwill »

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 10:06 »
Hi Poland .. useful post. Thanks.
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32 »
I moved the post by Poland so our chicken experts can asses it.  It was a very aggressive first post but it will be returned if the information is correct.
Cheese makes everything better.

carolbriar

« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 15:51 »
If the information is correct then perhaps a slightly less aggressive answer would have been more appropriate.  Hope your girls are getting better Tamnwill.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 15:58 by carolbriar »
2 Springer Spaniels, 1 Speckled Sussex,  1 Cuckoo Maran, 1 Light Sussex, 1 Welsummer, 2 Barnvelders and 2 silver Pencil Wyandotes.

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2010, 15:52 »
No, I'm a sensitive soul too. :closedeyes: :lol:

xx
Sick chicken advise please

Started by parks1 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 22, 2010, 12:37
by bantam novice
xx
getting hens advise please

Started by dye29 on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2017, 13:18
by Sassy
xx
Sick hens please can you help?

Started by rmatt1 on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 19:55
by too many girls
xx
Think my hens sick!! Help

Started by RICH_Chicken on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 31, 2013, 17:46
by Helenaj

Page created in 0.221 seconds with 36 queries.