Can anyone advise please?

• 9 Replies

AndyRVTR

Can anyone advise please?
« on: February 08, 2009, 11:58 »
I got two one yr old hens off my neighbour down the plot last week and this morning I have noticed something about them that has got me a little concerned.
Both of them have what I can only descibe as 'scaley' legs and feet... and one of the legs on one of the hens looks cracked and I'm sure I can see blood in the crack.
I do know that they have always been let out into a muddy run, so I dont know if this would be a contribiting factor, does anyone know, what, if anything can be done?

Foxy

Re: Can anyone advise please?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:15 »
Hello Andy, sounds like scaly leg mite. This mite burrows under the scales lifting them. Signs are scaly and roughened looking legs, raised scales with a crusty greyish matter around the edge of the scales. It is also very irritating for the chooks

here is a bit more info as well as treatment advise

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=5250.0

AndyRVTR

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 12:25 »
Thanks Foxy.. I think I'll take a jar of vaseline down the plot this afternoon and give that a go...  :) :)

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 13:42 »
Well... I've been down the plot and managed to get a couple of pics of what I think is the worst looking feet on one of the birds.
TBH this looks a lot worse that i first thought and I'm not sure if this is even treatable??  :( , compared to the link above, this seems a lot worse.
I managed to cover both birds feet completely with vaseline, so I guess it's now just a matter of waiting to see if it improves.
Does anyone have any suggestions.... good or bad!
DSC00252zzz.jpg

beki

• Experienced Member
    • http://wholesomeliving.smfforfree4.com/index.php
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 18:46 »
wow that's pretty impressive!  :blink: the pic's a bit blurry though.. and to my (very INexperienced) eye, it doesn't look like scaly leg mite... at least not like the type my chooks had last year  :blush:

to be honest though, i'm not very good with things like this and ask advise about it myself, so not sure you should be listening to me... i'll shut up now...  :wub: lol

good luck with it though! xx
Trying to live the good life.. getting there slooooowly...

Foxy

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 19:06 »
that is scaly leg mite -just a bad case of it im afraid (IMO)
the mite has been able to multiply and therefore there is a lot of crusty build-up from the feaces of the mite. The piccy in the link show a less advanced infestation.

Dont worry its perfectly treatable, just will look horrid until the old, damaged scales moult away, best not to do that yourself as they may bleed and create a risk of infection.
Looking at your photo I would get hold of Frontline spray ( thats is just my opinion I am sure they will be more advance winging its way shortly!)This is available from the vets and is used as you probably know, for fleas on cats and dogs. It is not licensed for chickens though. Frontline will kill the mites within 24hours, then I would apply 7days later just to make sure. I would recommend is part the feathers at the top of the thighs and make sure the spray makes contact with the skin. Couple of short sprays and then a spray around the vent area. Alternatively you can use the drops also available,directly onto the birds neck. The formulation will tackle the mite systemically on entering the bloodstream and killing them.
For a soothing and effective ointment maybe applying a few drops of tea tree oil in vaseline will make the bird feel more comfortable.
Finally, clean out all the bedding as there may be eggs that could reinfect your chooks. As an additional measure I would treat with Frontline all your other birds as scaley leg is very infectious.

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 22:04 »
The Frontline will have the mites killed off straight away but you won't see improvement for a very long time.

It will take months sometimes to see improvement as this is very slow to correct itself after treatment, so please be patient.

Bodger

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 06:16 »
Frontline spray wont do the job I'm afraid. It would kill the mites if it could get to them but deep under the scales, the majority of them wouldn't come in contact with the treatment.
The idea behind the use of vaseline on the birds feet is that by smearing the affected parts you quite literally suffocate the offending burrowing insects. This may very well work but if you check out the poultry information section, there are better more effective treatments available.

CDave

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 06:32 »
Frontline spray wont do the job I'm afraid. It would kill the mites if it could get to them but deep under the scales, the majority of them wouldn't come in contact with the treatment.

But the drops should. Gets into the bloodstream and kills critters that way.

Foxy

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 10:16 »
The idea behind the use of vaseline on the birds feet is that by smearing the affected parts you quite literally suffocate the offending burrowing insects. This may very well work but if you check out the poultry information section, there are better more effective treatments available.

Hi Bodger/CDave -yep you are right would need to be the Frontline (or Ivermectin )drops!
spray is fine for lice/fleas

xx
Advise Please

Started by parson on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post May 28, 2012, 20:04
by nerdle
xx
Any advise welcome

Started by leddenton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 16, 2010, 13:22
by Sassy
xx
I need your advise please

Started by krystal on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 15:29
by bantam novice
xx
Advise please

Started by Bren200 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2013, 21:19
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.21 seconds with 39 queries.