Watering seeds

• 6 Replies

Ma Lowe

• Allotment owner from Feb 2014
Watering seeds
« on: April 25, 2014, 09:04 »
In conjunction with the thread 'how do you sow your seeds' http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=114088.0
How much and how often do you water seeds and seedlings when they are in the greenhouse.

I ask because yesterday when planting out the caulis and cabbages I noticed they were too wet so I am obviously watering them too much.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Watering seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2014, 10:49 »
I use one of those water bottles with the pull out bit at the top - and just give things a little squirt when the compost looks dry.

I hope the caulis and cabbages weren't in the greenhouse  ::)

Ma Lowe

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2014, 13:12 »
I use one of those water bottles with the pull out bit at the top - and just give things a little squirt when the compost looks dry.

Errrr yes they were. I have never put any of my plants out in a cold frame haven't got one. They got 2 hopes live or die lol.
Hubby has built a cold frame on the lottie so will probably be transferring plants there  :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2014, 14:01 »
 I use a spray bottle when they are little, or a dip in a water bath. But it depends on how sunny it has been.

I've had the best year ever with brassicas because they have been outside from the start. They were slower to germinate but they are nice sturdy plants.  Previously they have always wilted if I keep them in the greenhouse. The only trouble now is what to do with 24 psb plants  :nowink:
Anne

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 14:20 »
It's surprising how much water can still be in the compost even when the top seems dry. I use the "weight" method and just lift the pot up - if it seems quite light, I put it into a small tray and water it from below, but lift it out just when you can see the water appearing on the surface and the pot is heavier than before.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2014, 14:56 »

Errrr yes they were. I have never put any of my plants out in a cold frame haven't got one. They got 2 hopes live or die lol.
Hubby has built a cold frame on the lottie so will probably be transferring plants there  :)

I haven't got a cold frame either - but apart from very early Spring sowings, they go outside as soon as they've got proper leaves.

Ma Lowe

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 15:18 »

I haven't got a cold frame either - but apart from very early Spring sowings, they go outside as soon as they've got proper leaves.

Mine had 4/5 proper leaves so they should be ok. I have never had a problem before and sometimes there can be too much faffing about with them (says she who now mixes her own seed compost concoction and 9times out of10 puts one seed in each pot. Now if that isn't faffing around I don't know what is :D)

xx
Question about watering seeds

Started by AdsaM on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 11, 2009, 23:49
by RGManby
xx
Watering seeds in the heated propagator

Started by rhysdad on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 28, 2010, 06:38
by Kristen
xx
Planting seeds & follow up watering

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2018, 19:33
by sunshineband
xx
watering newly planted seeds

Started by simbamara on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 25, 2017, 12:02
by simbamara

Page created in 0.417 seconds with 40 queries.