urgent! crop bound?

• 6 Replies

chocchicken

urgent! crop bound?
« on: January 13, 2010, 16:04 »
hi all,
have just been to give corn to my chooks and i notice 2 out of the 3 of them have big lumps on their chests, i had a little feel and it seemed hardish. they are all walking around and seem happy although it is protruding quite a lot. i noticed it straight away.

do i give veg oil now? or wait and see how they are in the morning?

don't want them to get poorly.

think they have been being greedy with the grass today as the snow has melted now!!

advice appreciated, thanks

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: urgent! crop bound?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 16:15 »
are you sure they are crop bound and not just got full healthy crops? seems strange that 2 have become crop bound. Have you had a feel? can you feel their feed?
Staffies are softer than you think.

dizzylizzie

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 16:16 »
its normal, they are supposed to look like tennis balls at the end of the day! its the food they have eaten throughout the day. Mine sometimes feel quite hard, and smetime they feel like well stuffed bean bags, you can feel the bits of grit in there. As a generel rule, it should be empty in the morning, although occasionally you will get the odd chicken with a bit left in. If the chickens are behaving normally, i.e bright and alert, interested in whats going on, eating, drinking etc, im sure they are fine. If on the otherhand, they are not eating/drinking, tail down, hunched in a corner, looking very sorry for themselfs, then something could be up. Impacted crop and sour crop are two different things, although sour crop can follow on from an impacted crop. Impacted crop feels ROCK hard, in our case it was caused by long grass/string, sour crop feels like a water balloon, and her breath will smell rancid. This is caused by bacteria, both these conditions will causes the bird to be very unwell. There is loads of advice on here about these problems, do a search, i always thing forwarned is fore armed...fingers crosed for you that it is just the 'normal' end of day full crop.....it is very visable, they look like they have 1 huge boob :D

chocchicken

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 16:24 »
thankyou. :)

since i posted i went back out and had a good feel, and no they are not that hard.

probably just full healthy crops as they all seem perfectly happy and still eating and actually all three of them are full! false alarm!!

very suprised I've never noticed it before on them though ?

dizzylizzie

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2010, 16:25 »
lol :D

beulah59

• Experienced Member
    • Hen Keeper
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2010, 16:45 »
My two Light Sussex look totally lopsided at the end of a good day  :lol:
two daughters, nine hens, two goldfish, three cats ...

grumpydad

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2010, 21:18 »
now you know how they should be at the end of the day, if they are empty then you need to keep an eye on them.

all part of the learning curve we have all been through keeping chucks.

never be afraid to ask if you are concerned, everyone has been there at some time.

xx
Crop bound?

Started by SusieB on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 08:40
by cathangirl
xx
crop bound chook

Started by barneyowl on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 09:12
by barneyowl
xx
Impacted Crop in 4 week old chick (Modified - It's Sour Crop)

Started by kegs on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post August 26, 2012, 14:48
by New shoot
xx
Egg Bound?

Started by happychickens on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 23, 2008, 21:13
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.202 seconds with 36 queries.