From plant to pot - chillies (with pics)

• 4 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
From plant to pot - chillies (with pics)
« on: October 08, 2011, 15:40 »
My Scotch Bonnet chilli is still going strong.  This is it today after I picked a load of ripe fruits

I think it's the most productive chilli I have ever grown

This was the greenhouse harvest today - last few aubergines, peppers, big chillies and the Scotch Bonnets

And this is the result of my afternoon's work - searingly hot Scotch Bonnet cooking paste made with deseeded Scotch Bonnets put in the food processor with a teaspoon of salt and covered with white malt vinegar boiled with sugar, plus the bigger chillies also in the vinegar/sugar mix for eating as pickles. And I have survived the experience having rubber gloved up and worn glasses to keep the fumes out of my eyes   :lol:  

Kleftiwallah

Re: From plant to pot - chillies (with pics)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2011, 15:44 »

Cracking set of snaps, hope your pleased.   What varieties were the other chillies (apart from the sctoch bonnet)?   

I've got six large jars of red and green sweet pepper relish to see us through the winter Cheers,     Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2011, 15:52 »
Hi Tony

The bigger chillies are Wenk's Yellow Hot, which as you can see are actually red and not that hot  ::)  Think they will make good pickles though  :)

Spana

« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2011, 16:07 »
They look gorgeous. :)

The  cooking paste, is that put into the jars raw,and is the vinegar and sugar mix poured on hot or cold?

How long d'you think it will keep.  I'd like to have a go at that :)

I'm going to try Scotch Bonnets next year after seeing yours.  My chillies dont seem to have any heat at all, perhaps i should try leaving the seeds in :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2011, 16:32 »
For the cooking paste I put the chillies in the jar raw and poured the hot vinegar over.  It is amazingly hot without the seeds or pith so if you like hot chillies Spana, I would recommend Scotch Bonnet.  Mine was a baby plant bought at work for the princely sum of £1.49 - bargain even before staff discount given the amount it has produced :D  

For the pickles I used the vinegar cold to keep them crispy.  The vinegar mix I used was a pint of vinegar and 7oz white sugar.  I've made the pickles before and they last for months in the cupboard, so I reckon if I fridge the paste after opening it will last until the crop is ready next year :)

xx
what to do with my chillies

Started by Debsie on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 03, 2010, 21:42
by catllar
xx
Chillies??

Started by Belgarion on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post September 21, 2011, 18:53
by Marston
xx
chillies in oil

Started by SUTTY1 on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post July 26, 2010, 18:15
by SUTTY1
xx
Pickled chillies

Started by BussinSpain on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

6 Replies
Last post August 04, 2014, 09:50
by Lardman

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 39 queries.