Help - Salad Blue

• 3 Replies

Natalie Smith

Help - Salad Blue
« on: August 31, 2023, 18:24 »
Hi! I’m looking for some advice on salad blue variety maincrop potatoes. I’m hoping to enter them into our local show this weekend, but I’ve no idea if they are classed as round or kidney??
image.jpg

Kleftiwallah

Re: Help - Salad Blue
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2023, 18:35 »
Good evening Natalie,  I have grown blues as a novelty quite some years ago and I found them very tasty and the sprogs of relatives still remember them.
I would aproach the organisers for a definitive answer.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2023, 18:44 »
Welcome to the forums

I can't find a definitive answer, either. The RHS page on vegetables for exhibition only mentions the white / coloured categories.

Unless you have access to the RHS judging guide on spuds, I agree with Klefti that only the organisers of the show can give a definitive answer.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2023, 19:24 »
Notes from the The Royal Horticultural Show Handbook...
Potatoes -page 10,  in collections (6) for single dishes (5).
Potatoes - page 39, Freedom from skin blemishes which may be caused by pests, diseases or careless handling is essential.  The tubers should be very carefully washed in ample, clean water with a soft sponge, on no account use a rough cloth or brush.  Stage the plates with the rose end outwards, cover with a cloth to exclude the light until the gudging commences.

Potatoes - page 62,  maximum points (20).
Potatoes - page 81, Meritorious  Medium-sized of generally between 170g and 225g per tuber, shapely, clean, clear skinned tubers, eyes few and shallow.  Defective Tubers that are very small or very large or miss-shapen or have damaged, speckeled or patch skins or have many or deep eyes.

And finally,  Suggestions for schedule-makers.  Potatoes, white of any shape.  Potatoes, other than white, of any shape.

Best wishes in the show,  The schedule I have is quite old and things may have changed.
Cheers,  Tony.

xx
Showing celery as a salad

Started by biguns on The Show Bench

4 Replies
Last post July 14, 2013, 17:39
by Salmo

Page created in 0.14 seconds with 43 queries.