Lemon Tree Not Flowering

• 6 Replies

LittleRedHen

• little red hens egg blog
Lemon Tree Not Flowering
« on: June 03, 2009, 07:44 »
I grew my own lemon tree from a seed and now it is about three feet tall.  I still don't have any flowers though.  Does anyone know how long it takes for these trees to flower for the first time?  I see them in the shops and they have lemons on them and alot smaller than my tree.   :dry:
When I die I will slide in sideways, a glass of wine in one hand and chocolate in the other, screaming, "Whooo hooo!  What a ride!" as life is to be enjoyed to the fullest!

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Lemon Tree Not Flowering
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 08:14 »
When you grow a lemon from seed you never know the variety: thos you see in the shops are bred to flower when they are small, but lemons you buy usually come from full sized trees.

Having said that, if you restrict the root grwoth by ensuring the tree is not in too big a pot, and feed with  either citrus fertiliser or tomato fertiliser at half strength, it might trigger flower buds.

Lemon trees can take eavy pruning so it is easy to keep them to the shape you want, but look carefully so you don't cut off any buds --- they usually look purple when they are small.

Hope that helps -- other people may offer other ideas as well.

Good luck  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

SG6

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 18:48 »
Most lemons are grown on a rootstock. Otherwise they take a long time to flower and bear fruit. Spoke to someone at the citrus centre they mentioned 20+ years for a pip grown tree.  :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

So I would count it as an evergreen indoor bush/tree and not expect anything from it.

I also had a lemon from a pip it was about 12-15 years and never a flower on it. :tongue2: :tongue2:

LittleRedHen

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 20:26 »
AAAAAhhhhhhh!!!! 20 Years?    :tongue2:  I guess I'll be taking it to the old age pensioners' home with me!  LOL!  Oh well, at least it's healthy!  Thank you all so much for your advise!

SG6

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 19:00 »
It's a shame as they are easy to grow from seed and if they would flower/fruit in say 5-7 years then it would be something to look forward to.

I seem to recall a company I worked at many years ago had a pip grown grapefruit at the top of some stairs. Apparently it was 20-25 years old, it certainly was a good sized bush, over 5ft, and it had never flowered.

LittleRedHen

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2009, 12:47 »
I grew lime trees at home from pips and they flowered and gave fruit very quickly.  Oh well, live and learn!  I saw a lemon tree - you could tell it was graphed - at the garden centre yesterday and they wanted £30 for it!

SG6

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 19:08 »
I have a lime from the citrus centre, growing OK just a little bushy and I would prefer it to be a bit more tree like.

Haven't seen a pip in a lime for some time, if I do I will plant it. Have a cheese cake recipe for a one.

xx
lemon tree

Started by lfcevans on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 11, 2011, 18:06
by sunshineband
clip
Lemon Tree

Started by pepsi100 on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post April 22, 2024, 22:39
by pepsi100
xx
Sick lemon tree

Started by Penny Finn on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 08, 2013, 07:18
by sunshineband
wireless
2yr old lemon tree problem

Started by SamT on General Gardening

2 Replies
Last post May 08, 2011, 18:18
by SamT

Page created in 0.131 seconds with 32 queries.