Anybody use polypots?

• 5 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Anybody use polypots?
« on: April 06, 2012, 19:03 »
I ran out of 1L pots when I was potting on some tomatoes, courgettes and squash today. I like using square pots because they just kind of seem easier to cram in together on a tray. But I wasn't able to find any square 1L pots at either of my local garden centres, so I had a look on ebay and tripped over the soft, collapsible polypots in that size. Has anybody used these as plant pots? If so, do they stand up well on a tray or do they tend to fall over or collapse? They certainly seem a cheaper option, but I don't want to buy a load if they're going to drive me mad.

Auntiemogs

Re: Anybody use polypots?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 19:09 »
U could always cut 2l milk cartons in half  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

mattwragg94

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 19:23 »
ive seen them too - they used to have realy small one at the pound store - they worked ok - so i would imagine these do to - providing you put enough compost in them an compact it!

compostqueen

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 10:46 »
I 've just tried these for the first time. My brother bought them for my birthday and they certainly are space savers

I've not used the 5" ones, mine are just for the first potting on and are about 2".  I used them for potting on my tenderstem broc seedlings and they've got away well despite the immediate cold snap. They were big enough to hold sufficient compost and are they stand up just fine

Carrot Man

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 16:11 »
I use polypots
I use the 17ltr ones to grow my potatoes in to save the back breaking digging
I use the smaller ones to start my shallots off
I find them useful as you can split the sides to replant or wash and reuse as standard pots

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 16:42 »
I did buy some from my garden centre, I got a few each of 4" and 5" to try them out, and I like them a lot. They stand up fine on a tray, are cheap as chips, take no space at all to store (unlike my ridiculous stack of plastic pots, none of which are ever the size I need) and because they're a bit more malleable I can cram more of them onto a tray, which is very useful at this time of year when I'm disappearing under a pile of seedlings. The 4" size is a bit less than 1L and the 5" size is a bit more, but when potting on from 3" pots I found the 4" size was perfect. I'll definitely be getting more of these.

xx
2 polypots done

Started by homegrown on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 28, 2013, 15:11
by homegrown
xx
Spuds in Polypots - Advice please

Started by braders1234 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 25, 2010, 20:04
by TheSpartacat

Page created in 0.327 seconds with 39 queries.