Poorly Hen

• 4 Replies

HippyChick

Poorly Hen
« on: July 15, 2011, 17:49 »
Hi, I am a newbie here and new to keeping hens. We got four lovely girls three weeks ago and they are now about twenty one weeks onld. One was a bit quiet earlier in the week and we thought she may be about to start laying, but she brightened up, and there are no eggs as yet. Another went quiet too. She has now been really quiet and looking very sorry for herself for about three or four days. Her eyes are bright enough, but she isn't keen to eat, is keeping herslf to herself, and just hiding in the hedge or coop. She won't take corn from you, and she looks a little larger than normal about her back end. I rang the people we bought her from, and they said she probably was about to lay and it would last a day or too, but we have gone over that. She feels quite warm. Is any of this normal? Should I be worried? What can we do to make her more comfy, and how long can we expect it to last if she is just about to lay an egg? Many thanks in anticipation!!

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Re: Poorly Hen
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2011, 18:12 »
Not sure what to say but wanted to say welcome to the fourm and someone with more Chicken knowledge should be along soon

if you think she feels warm take her temp place your hand under a wing of your other hen then place that same hand under her wing to see if it feels warmer

she may be getting ready to lay or has laid someother place and it could have been a softie as they seem to moap about after.

a sure way to know if she is getting ready to lay is by her comb it will go bright red then after she lays it goes back to a light red
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

bantam novice

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 18:59 »
Just wanted to welcome you and wish you luck with your chick  :)  Keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

HippyChick

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2011, 11:53 »
Well, afte ra night worrying about how she was in the coop, she looks a bit brighter this morning. I wouldn't say she is her usual bright self, but a bit better and even had a run and flap across the garden. She had something to eat too, so fingers crossed she has turned a corner.

JACDORE

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2011, 13:16 »
fingers crossed something had simply upset/distressed her and as you say "Turned the corner" for the better and a huge welcome  :D
2 rottys 4 cats, 2 gecko's, 2 beardies, 2 hamsters, 1 guinea pig, 1 rabbit, 12 various fish, 6 hens, 1 hubby, (lol)

xx
poorly poorly hen advice please

Started by feelingbroody on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post August 10, 2011, 18:22
by feelingbroody
xx
poorly hen

Started by morbidia on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 04, 2012, 12:10
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly hen please help

Started by vicpic39 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 22, 2009, 22:33
by vicpic39
xx
poorly bum!

Started by Scrambler on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 15, 2011, 22:23
by Scrambler

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.