Greenhouse glass? Or not?

• 11 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Greenhouse glass? Or not?
« on: February 04, 2016, 20:37 »
Hi guys I lost 2 panes of glass from my greenhouse in the bad weather and don't want to replace it with glass. I know there is a more expensive but more durable option I just can't for the life of me remember what it is?

Anyone know what I mean?

Having never had a greenhouse until I moved here 18 months ago and so far only used it to store stuff in I am determined to have it as a working greenhouse this season I just have no idea where to start :-)

Many thanks.

BabbyAnn

Re: Greenhouse glass? Or not?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 10:48 »
why don't you want to replace with glass?  I much prefer my glass greenhouse to the polycarbonate one - more sturdy and solid, easier to clean, whereas the polycarbonate is easily scratched and in time becomes brittle, plus the wind pushes it out of the frame more times than I like.

If just replacing 2 panes, anything will do to be honest - make a note of the exact dimensions and thickness, you might be able to go to the local diy and get a piece of polycarbonate or perspex (either ask them to do it or cut it yourself if you have the right tools)

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 11:41 »
Glass worries me as I have a dog and a cat so when it falls out and smashes if I don't get to it first there is a chance they will end up at the vets. I also have a granddaughter who was born in November and looking ahead I hope she will enjoy long summer days in my garden so again it's the risk factor.

I also read somewhere there was something better than glass just can't remember what it was?

Many thanks.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2016, 12:12 »
Do you mean toughened (safety) glass as opposed to horticultural glass which is thinner and more fragile?

I have a palram greenhouse as I am also very clumsy... but it's very noisy when the wind gets up. :) The other option is polycarb as BabbyAnn points out.

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 12:23 »
Hi no not toughened safety glass maybe it is polycarbonate I am thinking of just the name doesn't ring any bells. Oh well maybe I should stick to glass for now just to get the hole closed in and decide later if I want to change it all.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 12:25 »
safety glass is expensive anyway, but .............. why not get safety glass film instead and cover it? (glass will still break but be stuck to the film) http://www.chesterford.co.uk/acatalog/Safety_glass_film__glasshouse___greenhouse_glazing.html

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 13:39 »
The safety film might not be a bad idea - hadn't come across that before. I bought polycarb t replace two broke glass panels - to make sure it didn't blow out I drilled through it and the aluminium cross member and secured it with a bolt and washer. Has been fine for the last three years in a blustery coastal location. Without the bolt and washer one or the other would end up in the neighbours garden on a fortnightly basis.

Pip pip,
Bladers

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 16:21 »
Never heard of that either - nice tip!  :D

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2016, 07:44 »
I love that idea best of both worlds thank you :-)

Beekissed

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2016, 01:59 »
Plexiglass? 

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2016, 10:32 »
Maybe I honestly can't remember someone mentioned it on a facebook group and I can't remember what one of those either lol.

Never mind as I think I'm going to go with the glass film idea :-)

Thanks everyone :-)

Snoop

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2016, 18:49 »
On another thread, someone posted a link to a series of competitions, including one for a Keder greenhouse. The material, apparently known as Polydress LP Keder or Polydress SolaWrap, looks amazing. Here's one link, but it looks like there's plenty of info on the Web:

http://www.kedergreenhouse.co.uk/Enthusiastic-Structure/Enthusiatic-Keder_Cladding.html

That said, it looks very expensive and not easy to get hold of unless you buy a whole kit, so not very appropriate for replacing a couple of panes of glass.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 18:59 by Snoop »

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 39 queries.