What do you look for in a dehydrator?

• 79 Replies

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
Re: What do you look for in a dehydrator?
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2014, 13:57 »
So do you go square or round? And what is the best minimum temperature to look for? Some start at 35C others at 40C. Do you need a timer? Do they need lots of space around them for airflow or can they be shoved in a corner?

Not many of the dehydrators on the other links are still available, and with all this talk of how tasty dehydrated fruit is, I WANT ONE!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2014, 14:15 »
Mine's round, but I see that the same manufacturer now does a square one (Andrew James) for about the same price as I paid last year.  The round ones seem to have come down in price both on Amazon and Lakeland. I find with the plastic trays small fruits fall through, and being round, the trays aren't so easy to line with cling film or paper, as a square one would be.

The square ones are generally much more expensive.

Temperature settings: I mostly do fruit or veg so mine's always in the middle around 50/55, and I have never needed to change it much, although I turn it down sometimes if they aren't far off being done and I have to leave it. A timer would be quite useful then, but as I am around most of the time I just use a kitchen timer if I need to. If you are going to dry things like meat or fish I think you need the different temperature settings.
Mine is parked on the utility room bench, shoved in a corner when not in use, pulled forward when on, it gets quite warm and the space needed for it is a consideration.  You need space for the machine and space beside it so you can fill and empty the trays. I had to do some reorganisation to get it fitted in (ie chuck some clutter out!)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 14:20 by Annen »
Anne

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2014, 14:26 »
My tuppence worth, in order of asking :

Square or round - dunno - mine is round, but I can see a square one would make lining trays easier.  I use baking paper folded into a triangle, then cut to fit and the point trimmed off so it fits over the central air well of my machine.

If you want to dry herbs, one that starts at 35C would be best.  40C can turn herbs brown as they dry.

Timer - don't think you have to have one.  Its better to judge by the texture of the finished product than rely on a time as it varies on each batch you do.

Space - if you get one with a fan (which I would recommend) it doesn't rely on air flow so much, but they do generate a fair bit of warm air.  I use mine near a window that I can keep open or they can make the house warm over summer.

Not that I am trying to add to the dehydrator frenzy  :nowink:, but the other good thing about home dried fruit is that you can customise your end result to suit you.  Dipping in fruit juice prior to drying stops oxidation and adds flavour or sprinkling with spices - cinnamon and apple are as good as they sound.  I have also read that storing the dried apple with brown sugar cubes mean they take on a whole new taste.  Not tried that one yet, but intending to this autumn   :)

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2014, 14:31 »
I use baking paper folded into a triangle, then cut to fit and the point trimmed off so it fits over the central air well of my machine.

Doh! Why didn't I think of that?  :nowink: :blush:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2014, 14:40 »
I have my moments  ;)  Not many, but I have them  :lol:

Snoop

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2014, 16:02 »
The whole temperature thing is what made me a bit unsure about using a solar dehydrator. As a start, a solar one would be my best bet, but it looks all too easy to turn out frazzled fruit and veg because they get so hot.

Amazon.co.uk has some very good prices on the Andrew James dehydrators (rectangular with six levels at 40 pounds and round with five at 30 instead of getting on for a hundred) at the moment for surbie anyone who's interested...

surbie100

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2014, 16:58 »
Right, have pushed the button. In case it's handy, ebay is cheaper than amazon for most of them. Have gone for the cheaper round Andrew James, just in case dehydrating and I don't get on.

Honestly you lot are terrible influences. First seedaholism, now this, whatever you call it!  :nowink:  :D

Lardman

« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2014, 18:04 »
It's the seeds, they're a gateway habit  :lol:

Id got my eye on that one for £30 inc delivery, Im wrestling with the decision though as it looks like that pants compost has seen off my hot peppers  :mad: 

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2014, 21:01 »
I can send you my home dried scotch bonnet chilli flakes if you like.  They are so hot, we can't eat them  :lol:

Lardman

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2014, 22:15 »
I can send you my home dried scotch bonnet chilli flakes if you like.  They are so hot, we can't eat them  :lol:

I said hot peppers Shoots  :lol: They were my Trinidad scorpion and bhut jolokia plants I miss getting my sweat on  :D

Snoop

« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2014, 08:32 »
It's the seeds, they're a gateway habit  :lol:

:lol: :lol:

surbie100

« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2014, 10:13 »

I said hot peppers Shoots  :lol: They were my Trinidad scorpion and bhut jolokia plants I miss getting my sweat on  :D

Yowzers!  :ohmy:

Lardman

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 18:59 »
Caved in today and also ordered one.  :blush: You lot are such a bad influence on me.  ::)

surbie100

« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2014, 00:25 »
Caved in today and also ordered one.  :blush: You lot are such a bad influence on me.  ::)

Hurrah!  :D

Madame Cholet

• Location: Thrapston=Home & garden Lotty=Ringstead East Northants
  • remember you're a womble
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2014, 09:25 »
we don't have shares honest :D
Diary at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85680.75

Comments at- http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=85681.15

To good friends, good food and dirty hands

Underground overground wombling free

xx
Anyone got the dehydrator out yet?

Started by New shoot on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post August 27, 2017, 17:14
by New shoot
xx
sad day, dehydrator has passed away

Started by Aidy on Kitchen Natter

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2021, 21:00
by jezza
clip
Dehydrator projects

3 Replies
Last post October 31, 2020, 11:41
by New shoot
xx
1st harvest of the year in the dehydrator

111 Replies
Last post November 19, 2014, 19:46
by Madame Cholet

Page created in 0.151 seconds with 38 queries.