WORM STEW

• 39 Replies

mulletsrokk

WORM STEW
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2006, 23:47 »
I still don't fancy slugs to eat though. Slug kebabs anyone!? :lol: I think you would need to be pretty deperate? I don't think even good 'ol Ray Mears has eaten slugs.... could be wrong... I remember my old Jack Russel trying to eat a slug when she was a pup, the slug won.....  :?

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
WORM STEW
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2006, 09:28 »
No worse than snails, I imagine, though I've not ate either. Gordon Ramsey has an interesting method of "detoxing" garden snails so you can eat them.
Of course, living in a posh area, now I can't find any decent large snails. Coincidence?  :lol:
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

KIM200

WORM STEW
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2006, 18:35 »
i have two ferrets who love to eat slugs. but only the small ones they never bother with the larger ones. maybe the smaller ones are more sweet tasting? :lol:
i can eat just about anything but you have to draw a line some where!

you must let us know when you have your first taste of worm though.

in my teenage years i was in the air force cadets and on one of our camps we had chopped worms in baked beans. i gave it a miss but all the boys eat it. :shock:

Jake

• Rockers
WORM STEW
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2006, 12:15 »
Quote from: "KIM200"
i have two ferrets who love to eat slugs. but only the small ones they never bother with the larger ones. maybe the smaller ones are more sweet tasting? :lol:

Thats good to know, my brother is getting some ferrets this week (he hopes) I'd rather something got some benefit from the evil little blighters.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

trapper

worm stew
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2006, 23:45 »
NOT  FOR THE FAINT HEARTED . gather em then strip em of soil, as ramsey would say , butter hot pan, garlic wild ,(jack by the hedge)frighten! just to the point of death ! infuse ( throw em in)! Watch em walk.squiggle a bit Dead  eat em !yum yum! . Gritty not on our main menu
but a million badgers can't be wrong!!!! Try it out . Bet yer won't. GO ON ! WIMPS.
I GET MINE BY FLASHLIGHT ON A WET NIGHT on the grass( just saying eat me!) then I go fishing . not really for the beginner  but they are 98% protein. Dare you.
Trapper
The things I sow sometimes dont grow I'm sorley disenchanted. But oh what fun I have with stuff ,I havn't even planted.

Annie

WORM STEW
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2006, 10:02 »
I can think of better ways to cook a ferret!

silver8

• Experienced Member
WORM STEW
« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2006, 23:31 »
Reading about the Dig for Victory campaign today where people were encouraged to eat things from the wild. Delicacies such as Crow Pie and Squirrel Tail soup.No reference to worms though.

Flying Cyril

WORM STEW
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2006, 21:27 »
I've just finished reading Tony Robinson's Worst jobs in history book and I'm sure there is a recipe in it for worm stew. The book is at work at the moment, If I remember I'll have a look tomorrow.
The hurrier I go the behinder I get

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
WORM STEW
« Reply #38 on: November 03, 2006, 08:53 »
Thats right,

It was an old wisewoman remedy, i think for chest problems. I saw the episode on telly. She didnt season it much though, so old baldrick there was none to chuffed by the flavour. The origins of the witches 'broomstick' are an eye opener (would have been if there were splinters!), but make perfect medical sense.

Great series that, i like those sort of programs that get right down to the real grit of history, Mark Williams Industrial Revelations is another good one.

Tony Robinsons series has him 'fulling' cloth, notice the similarities of how that was done and how we use 'organic accelerant' on the compost!!!

Martin
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

muntjac

WORM STEW
« Reply #39 on: November 03, 2006, 22:34 »
eaten everything actually including rats and im ex marine . worms collect them up and put in a bag or pocket with some grass for them to crawl through, pick the tip leaves from nettles any time of year they are the sweetest and add to a small amount of water !/2 pint boiling .boil for 2 mins . take of the heat add worms whole the more you add the better the soup. the great big ones you find on the grass in summer are the best add a little salt or gravy browing if you have it , put back on heat and bring back to boil , then eat yumy yum
squirrel recipes can be found all over the net ,best i find is just to boil them with veggies .1/2 a dozen makes a great dinner and they taste gamey like well hung chicken. when eating any wild foods ,, follow one rule before any others , " if in doubt leave it out " you can get books and courses on eating from the wild , before you start i suggest you use these . oh and brown rat tastes like rabbit ,very tasty indeed  black rats are found to carry the most germs etc
still alive /............

xx
chicken and veg stew ?

Started by Y.E.A.H on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 15:14
by Y.E.A.H
xx
good old rabbit stew.

Started by kennykoala on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

13 Replies
Last post October 14, 2009, 20:49
by mumofstig
xx
Anyone tried beetroot in a beef stew?

Started by Goosegirl on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

18 Replies
Last post July 29, 2015, 09:03
by LottyLouis
xx
Rib sticking stew question.

Started by Kleftiwallah on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

7 Replies
Last post November 18, 2019, 20:50
by Growster...

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 35 queries.