Mixed garden pickles

• 5 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Mixed garden pickles
« on: July 28, 2015, 07:28 »
After several heavy hints were dropped in my diary comments  ::)

Torshi pickles

These are many variations to these if you google the name.  It is also spelt turshi and tursu and is a pickle made in many Eastern European countries and some in the Middle East.   Some use just vinegar, some brine and vinegar (these don't keep so long unless you water bath them after bottling), some are pure fridge pickles.

Add Persian to your search and you will get recipes including more herbs and apples or other fruit pureed into a kind of sauce that is added to the pickles.

The basic and very simple recipe, that will keep.

1.5 kg (3lb) Mixed garden vegetables - cauliflower, cabbage, carrots, turnips, french beans, peppers - whatever you have

Prepare them and blanch one by one for 30 seconds, then drain well and mix together in a large bowl.

Sprinkle with 100g (4oz) salt and leave for a couple of hours

Drain the veg and pack into sterilised jars.  This will make about 4-5 of the size of jars you get pickled onions in, but cauli and cabbage bulk the pickle out, so have more jars on standby if you include these.

Boil white wine vinegar (approx 1L or 1.5 pints but it depends how big your veg pieces are and how tight you pack them) with a couple of cloves of garlic and 2 whole fresh chillies.  Leave to cool, then pour over the veg, adding the garlic and chillies to the jars as well. 

Store for 2 weeks before opening.

You can add any flavourings you want if you don't like garlic or chilli.  I also tried adding a bit of sugar to the vinegar, which was very tasty  :)

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Re: Mixed garden pickles
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 08:36 »
Here in Rural Bulgaria it's simpler. For a large jar of pickles they take anything that is left at the end of the year when they are clearing the garden, typically carrots, peppers, chilli, green tomatoes, garlic, okra, cabbage and some mini tomatoes fo decoration, a lovage leaf, or dill, one teaspoon of salt, one dessertspoon of sugar, one shot of wine vinegar (50ml)

Arrange whole veg and chunks of cabbage in the jar, push herbs in, add salt and sugar and vinegar and fill to the top with water and shake things up a little to distribute. Waterbath for 20 minutes once you have slowly brought the bath up to simmer, cool till handleable, dry the jars and turn upside down to cool properly and you will find out if you have any duff jars. Turn once a day for three days. Voila, eaten before every eal once te salad is finished.

Recipe given by a Baba of 87 years

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 08:48 »
Much appreciated by us "pickle plebs", thank you New Shoot and Tosca.

I am looking forward to having some colourful jarfuls once those peppers are ripe  :D :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 12:48 »
Thanks very much to both - something else to do with the surplus, rather than make way toooooo much chutney  :lol:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2015, 08:20 »
Thank you Tosca  :D  I'm going to try that recipe as I was looking at the brine/vinegar mixes this year.  I want to make something like the mixed salad pickles you can buy in Polish section of the world food aisle in our local Trasco.  I love these and will eat them out of the jar quite happily  :)

I'm also slightly intrigued by the middle eastern recipes I have found on line as well.  Some of those are more of a chopped product in a sauce made from apple or other fruit.  I'm going to do bit more digging and will post the results if I make one.  I have an idea about windfall apples and maybe some autumn veg like pumpkin or overgrown courgette  ;)

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 09:35 »
Here's an American one for mixed veg
Preparing and Canning Pickled Vegetables

Pickled Mixed Vegetables

4 lbs of 4- to 5-inch pickling cucumbers, washed, and cut into 1-inch slices (cut off 1/16 inch from blossom end and discard)
2 lbs peeled and quartered small onions
4 cups cut celery (1-inch pieces)
2 cups peeled and cut carrots (1/2-inch pieces)
2 cups cut sweet red peppers (1/2-inch pieces)
2 cups cauliflower flowerets
5 cups white vinegar (5 percent)
1/4 cup prepared mustard
1/2 cup canning or pickling salt
3-1/2 cups sugar
3 tbsp celery seed
2 tbsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
Yield: About 10 pints

Please read Using Boiling Water Canners before beginning. If this is your first time canning, it is recommended that you read Principles of Home Canning.

Procedure: Combine vegetables, cover with 2 inches of cubed or crushed ice, and refrigerate 3 to 4 hours. In 8-quart kettle, combine vinegar and mustard and mix well. Add salt, sugar, celery seed, mustard seed, cloves, turmeric. Bring to a boil. Drain vegetables and add to hot pickling solution. Cover and slowly bring to a boil. Drain vegetables but save pickling solution. Fill vegetables in sterile pint jars, or clean quarts, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Add pickling solution, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.

Adjust lids and process according to the recommendations in Table 1.

Table 1. Recommended process time for Pickled Mixed Vegetables in a boiling-water canner.
                                    Process Time at Altitudes of
Style of Pack   Jar Size   0 - 1,000 ft   1,001 - 6,000 ft      Above 6,000 ft
    Hot                 Pints   5 min              10min                        15min
                        Quarts   10 min.                 15   min.                        20 min
I've heard of watermelon rind pickles and pickled pumpkin, but neither sound very appetizing to me.
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

xx
pickles!

Started by puravida on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

17 Replies
Last post October 29, 2007, 08:04
by gobs
xx
Elder bud pickles

Started by GB on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

5 Replies
Last post June 14, 2007, 17:05
by Little Miss Muffet
sad
Salty Pickles

Started by CarolynAnne on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

1 Replies
Last post September 18, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
xx
Cucamelon pickles

Started by New shoot on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

2 Replies
Last post April 03, 2014, 20:52
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.138 seconds with 33 queries.