Mistakes you make year after year after year

• 44 Replies

Growster...

Re: Mistakes you make year after year after year
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2015, 17:26 »
I reckon that next year or the year after I'll have to top the eighty-five or so tomatoes we grow...

Perhaps go for the ton next year, then fall back to a comfortable fifty or there abouts...

It depends on how the Crimson Crush work out, because if they really do beat blight, we'll just stick with them!

pink aubergine

• Experienced Member
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2015, 20:51 »
But isn't the joy of this, is being able to give away seedlings and the fruits of our labours? I gain great pleasure from it!! We run a plant sale at our allotment with the XS of tenants sowings.

LandShark

• Experienced Member
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2015, 22:13 »
Letting my Dad have free reign in the greenhouse (it's only an 8x6). We buy enough to fill it then he starts planting the side shoots!
We bought 14 plants because when I sow them myself he keeps the lot, 2 years ago we had 49 tomato plants and 10 cucumber!
Currently he has 33 plants from side shoots and the 14 we bought but then we went to aldi so now he has 3 hanging baskets tomatoes as well !!
Every year I say I'll not be growing sprouts again but guess what? I bought some transplants that were reduced at the nursery last weekend!
I think us gardeners are just an optimistic bunch!! :)

Christine

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2015, 07:27 »
I think having an allotment is the mistake I make year after year. Trouble is I thought it was so much fun that about six weeks ago I took over a derelict plot (yeah 2 x 10 rods now).  :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Longshanks

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2022, 10:12 »
All of this. I feel much better now 😂

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2022, 15:14 »
And here I am, nearly 7 years after my original post and still taking the same risks with too-early sowings of beans. Maybe, just maybe, this year I'll get away with it!

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2022, 22:08 »
Forgetting where I am with crop rotation, forgetting to put plants I'm hardening off back into the greenhouse overnight, thinking I will remember what I've sown where and not organising plant supports and /or netting . Still manage to get sufficient fruit and veg though and next year I'll be more organised,,,,yeah!!!!

Rob the rake

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2022, 22:44 »
Courgettes.  Nuff said..

Lordy, so true. It gets so the neighbours start to hide if they see me coming with a filled trug.  ::)
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

Rob the rake

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2022, 22:52 »
Feeling bound to accept "just one or two" tomato plants from a neighbour and then being compelled to somehow squeeze them in despite knowing there's never, ever room for extras, just because I can't bear the thought that they might pay a visit and (God forbid) find out that they've been binned.

Rob the rake

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2022, 22:55 »
Reading your lists, guys, I realise I am not alone.

My additional annual error is growing more chillies than we can possibly eat  :lol: :lol:

Me too, mostly because I like the look of 'em, hanging there like Christmas baubles! Luckily one of my mates is a total addict so they never go to waste.

jaydig

« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2022, 01:04 »
Collecting seeds
Sowing too early
Sowing too late
Sowing too much
Sowing whats left in the pack as I think the seeds are naff as the first couple of sowings done nothing
Not potting on early enough
Keeping spare plants just incase (that are still lurking almost/completely dead 6-8 months later)
Thinking my greenhouse is bigger than it is
Thinking I will actually eat it all if I grow it
Planting too close
Not watering enough
Not feeding enough
Not securing netting at every possible miniscule point

And yet they still grow  :D  :D  :D

All of the above, plus tearing off the top of seed packet in a hurry because I try to do too much all at once, and managing to remove the seed title from unillustrated packets.  Total confusion the next year, apart from one or two easily identifiable ones.

KalisDad

• Adopt. Dont Shop
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2022, 17:08 »
Not being ruthless enough when thinning things out and probably not feeding enough through the growing season.
Dad of a beautiful Cyrpus rescue called Kali (she's in the picture), A dog from my favourite place, what a dream

missmoneypenny

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2022, 19:55 »
Rob the rake I so identify with that. Yes I see them coming with their 3 spare courgette plants but to keep the peace I accept them.
I’m also sentimental about ( some ) weeds, I have a soft spot for borage as the bees love it and it’s a handsome plant. But boy does it take over and in an allium bed it’s a disaster. I’m getting better at hoeing off the little plants, but still feel bad about it. I allow white nettles for the same reason.

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #43 on: May 07, 2022, 13:38 »

It depends on how the Crimson Crush work out, because if they really do beat blight, we'll just stick with them!

Been growing Crush for 5 years. They do work!

Rob the rake

« Reply #44 on: May 07, 2022, 22:37 »
Rob the rake I so identify with that. Yes I see them coming with their 3 spare courgette plants but to keep the peace I accept them.
I’m also sentimental about ( some ) weeds, I have a soft spot for borage as the bees love it and it’s a handsome plant. But boy does it take over and in an allium bed it’s a disaster. I’m getting better at hoeing off the little plants, but still feel bad about it. I allow white nettles for the same reason.

My plot neighbour likes borage too. So much so that it's this year's most common weed on my own patch; I must've removed over a hundred of the blighters. So far, none of them have come up in a place where I'll allow it to grow, but there's still time... :D

question
Saving shallots from this year's seed-sown to plant next year

Started by Beepee on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2021, 10:19
by cc
xx
small onions this year- caterpillar or just poor year

Started by missmoneypenny on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 18, 2012, 22:46
by shokkyy
xx
growing carrots in the same place year after year???

Started by daz on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 22, 2008, 10:22
by mtoyne
xx
Open Pollinated Seed that you keep on with Year after Year...

Started by spud on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post January 16, 2024, 11:59
by oldgrunge

Page created in 0.355 seconds with 53 queries.