Celeriac

• 15 Replies

Mr Dog

Re: Celeriac
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 16:03 »
This is how I grow Celeriac.

First do not grow the variety Prague Giant. I grew it year after year and they never grew larger than golf/cricket ball size. The skins are very knobbly too meaning more waste when preparing them. I have been growing Monarch from DT Seeds with better success. This year they are grapefruit size and the best yet. DT Brown is offering a F1 hybrid celeriac so I shall try that next season alongside Monarch.

Second Celeriac needs a very long season of growth. I sow the third week of February grow them on in pots or modules and plant then out late april/early may depending on the weather under fleece to keep the cold off. A dressing of chicken pellets (or growmore) and another couple of applications throughout the growing season.

I try to keep them well supplied with moisture though I don't flood them as you would do celery.

In September the outer leaves begin to lay horizontal to the ground. I pull these off exposing more root. It may be my imagination but the roots seem to benefit from this pulling.

Finally I don't  begin using them until November so they have had as much time to swell as possible. A light frost does no harm. However they must be dug up before hard frosts begin else they will turn to mush.

It is still very much work in progress but I believe I'm finally getting the knack with celeriac.

I've successfully grown the F1 (Ilona) for the past few years.

xx
celeriac

Started by mosser on Grow Your Own

50 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 01:10
by Paul Plots
xx
Celeriac

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post October 23, 2022, 20:13
by Bm1
xx
celeriac

Started by slow_worm on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 19:17
by DD.
xx
Celeriac

Started by Thephoenix572 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post July 16, 2013, 13:19
by Agatha

Page created in 0.349 seconds with 35 queries.