New to this forum? Not sure how to do things? Check out the help

Hello from Wherwell in Hampshire

• 17 Replies

Echium

Hello from Wherwell in Hampshire
« on: December 07, 2020, 15:10 »
Hello Everyone, we are just introducing ourselves as a newly and privately set up allotment for members of our parish. We went out and found a friendly farmer who supported our idea, rather that sit on a waiting list for, what could have been years. Since September 20 we have filled our eleven plots which range from 1 to 4 rods with mostly novice allotmenteers, who are enthusiastic and thoroughly looking forward to their first season of growing their own. We have gone from a wild un-cut meadow, to a fenced allotment area, created our own rainwater collection system to support the local well water source. By spring 21, we should be all set up and ready for our first season.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Hello from Wherwell in Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2020, 16:52 »
Welcome and well done, Echium.

What an exciting project.  We’re really looking forward to following your progress. 

We love to see pictures too  :D

Echium

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2020, 17:38 »
OK and thanks for your comment, ! will get a current day picture, taken from the same spot as one of the first pics, so it shows the progress in 2-3 months. Will post them towards the end of this week.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2020, 20:43 »
Hello, welcome and well done!

And yes to some pictures, we're dead nosey on here ;)

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2020, 21:38 »
Hats off to you for getting on with it. Welcome to the forums
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 16:04 »
Hi, What n excellent project.  We shall look forward to hearing how it goes, with pics of course.  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Echium

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 18:11 »
You have requested some pictures, so here we go....
Pic 1, This is the site we selected, and the picture shows the extent of overgrowth. Over 1m high and not been touched for several years. Pic 2, Before we agreed things with the farmer, we had to clear the ground so we could establish how many plots we could get on the land. Pic 3, We managed to get 11 plots of various sizes 1 to 4 rods and all getting at least 6 hours of sunlight on a min of half of each plot. Pic 4, The farmer helped us trim over hanging branches which created a rather large wood pile 3m square! Pic 5, A case of being in the right place at the right time, resulted with a kind donation of a 6 x 3m polytunnel which all allotmenteers will benefit from. We would like this to be a communal project, where we all help each other. We have more pics to share with you and will do soon, but for now I will tell you briefly about the Sensory garden which will be incorporated within the allotment. See pic 11, Probably hard to make it out from the photo, but there are 2 nice size plots of land within the enclosure we are converting into sensory (wellbeing gardens) for members of our parish to come to and enjoy the beautiful countryside that we are within. We will expand on this as the project develops. Also, the nature haven which is intended for an area of woodland adjoining the allotment…. All in the future!
Enjoy.....
1, Site selected for our allotment.JPG
2 Site cleared of over growth.JPG
3 Marking out the plots.JPG
4, After trimming the tree branches.JPG
5, A kind donation.JPG
11, Sensory garden site.JPG

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 22:35 »
That looks great.  It will be good to see the progress you all make. 

What aspect is the tree line on ?

Echium

Re: Hello from Wherwell, Hampshire
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2020, 00:35 »
The trees were originally my concern as they may cast too great a shadow. We have laid the plots out so they run east to west and from local knowledge and our own experience each plot will achieve more than the recommended 6 hours of full sunshine from 10am to 6pm. I should have mentioned the pics were taken mostly early morning or evening during August.  Following the extensive tree surgery which took place in November with more due shortly will give further morning sunlight. Plots also stop 3 to 6m from the tree line as we are using this area for equipment stores and vehicle access as and when required. We are in close communication with a horticultural college and closely following their advise, its been a learning for me after over 60 years self taught gardening and over 40 with allotments. Interesting times?
Nite, nite

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 18:58 »
Looks fantastic, what a project to be proud of!  Welcome to the site

Bear in mind that in the first year or two of cultivation after being grassland, any potato crops may be extra susceptible to wireworm.  Forewarned is forearmed, and there are some tips you can do to minimise damage from them (others will remember what they are, better than I can!)  :)
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Echium

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2020, 07:40 »
Thanks for the warning of wireworm Yorkie. We have looked up the little chap, must admit not come across it in the past, but good advice, thanks again. We grew some pink fir apple potatoes in which was previously a long-standing lawn last year, we manured the ground well in the spring, it was a good harvest, they will be nice at Christmas. The allotment was part of a larger field on an organic arable farm until about 3 years ago when the farmer cut off funny shaped areas as they were expensive to farm. Since then the land had be left mainly to nature. The farm is organic, so we need to be as well. Any proven and tested advice for getting rid of deep-rooted thistles and dock would be hugely interesting.
We’ve just been given the approval to bring in well-rotted horse manure from a neighbouring farm, I moved over a ton yesterday with probably a further 2 ton today, I’ve never seek so many worms in one fork full!
 ;)

Echium

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2020, 15:26 »
We owe you some more pics. This will bring you almost up to date to where we are now. Our members who joined us in the beginning are top dressing their plots with rotted horse manure this weekend and a few are desperately digging their last little bits before the weather gets wetter next week.

Pics 12 & 13 construction of our first poly tunnel! Fortunately, we removed it from its previous location, kept careful notes, dimensions and pics, then reverse engineered its construction and investing in a new cover. We are going to add a porch to the front end to give us a place to bring on young plants, will keep you posted on this.

Pic 14, We take great care of our wildlife residence, carefully removing them our of harms way. We have seen common lizards, slowworms, vowels, squirrels, and deer, loads of small birds… but no pigeon….. Yet! (Will pick up of squirrels and deer later in this story).

Pic 20 and 21, we have the good fortune of having a regular supply of timber, literally tones of it!!! We will be making all our own, gate, fencing, compost bins, sheds and loads more…. We will share them with you as we make them.

More to come…. :)
12, our first polytunnel.JPG
13, Cover almost on.JPG
14, taking great care of the locals.JPG
20, timber store.JPG
21, Gates.JPG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2020, 15:47 »
It's looking good, but I think you really need to start a diary, rather than to continue posting on a Welcome thread  :lol:

Echium

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2020, 16:31 »
Um! I did email the founder on the exact same point earlier today and he thought it was ok where it is, hence my last post. I also mentioned to him that I was considering starting a diary, one on the allotment and perhaps another on the cottage gardens? I'm happy whichever you suggest? ::)

snowdrops

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2020, 16:42 »
I think both will be fab, & you can link a comments thread to it too, (or the mds can do it for you  :)) & if you put the link in your signature line it’s easy for people to comment...we all have lots to say lol

xx
Hello From Hampshire!¬ :)

Started by mrpscamp on Welcome to the Forums

3 Replies
Last post December 07, 2020, 16:52
by Echium
xx
Hello from Hampshire

Started by John obrien on Welcome to the Forums

11 Replies
Last post July 11, 2017, 06:42
by John obrien
xx
Greetings from Hampshire

Started by freefolk on Welcome to the Forums

5 Replies
Last post July 12, 2017, 22:38
by Yorkie
xx
new Hampshire chickens

Started by lisaelliott on Welcome to the Forums

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2020, 09:21
by Aunt Sally

Page created in 0.172 seconds with 55 queries.