slugs

• 4 Replies

ilan

• Experienced Member
slugs
« on: June 10, 2012, 19:13 »
This wet weather has caused a population explosion of slugs I think they are keil slugs that live in the grass little light grey ones as my beds are cut into grass I have lost 24 runner beans stripped to the stalks 18 sweet corns just gone and two now very poorly marrows the potatoes have been hit and I never even saw the pea plants I must have killed hundreds of the little  :mad: dont know what to try next as with all the rain slug pellets / traps wont work
This is the first age that has ever paid much attention to the future which is ironic since we may not have one !(Arthur c Clarke)

Grubbypaws

Re: slugs
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 19:22 »
Nemaslug works really well and likes wet conditions but is not cheap. I have used it this year for the first time and have not lost a single plant to the enemy.

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/HarrodSite/search/product/Pest+Control_Biological+Pest+Control/GPC-265.htm

I am hoping that I will get ahead of the game and then only have to apply it occasionally but time will tell.

It works superbly but I haven't done a cost analysis; i guess it depends on how you value your time and your pleasure.

I hope this helps.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 19:44 »
I use the Growing Success organic slug pellets. They're supposed to carry on working after rain or watering, and certainly they've always worked for me. There's a plague of slugs around after all this rain, but these pellets are keeping them away from my plants.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 00:08 »
I'm on a combination of nematodes and organic slug pellets - still getting the occasional slug pr two, but nothing near the decimation my neighbours have had. Touch wood...

Then again, if the rain keeps coming I think that everything will drown as I'm on clay and there's a peaky pan of solid clay just over a spade depth down.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2012, 07:17 »
Slug pellets, whatever kind, do need to be replaced from time to time to stay effective, especially when it rains a lot  :wacko:

I resort to blue pellets of death when times are hard, and they do the trick
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Slugs!

Started by HaggisWhisperer on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 16, 2009, 23:56
by aubergine
xx
slugs

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post February 21, 2010, 10:03
by harry
xx
Slugs......HELP me please...

Started by dionne on Grow Your Own

46 Replies
Last post January 13, 2008, 22:20
by gobs
xx
Slugs

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 05, 2012, 16:50
by Jim the builder

Page created in 0.389 seconds with 39 queries.