Compost bags & Allotments

• 8 Replies

Dopey113

Compost bags & Allotments
« on: March 17, 2012, 18:25 »
On an allotment (usually quite big) do people put bags of compost in them? I'm lucky and get a free supply of horse manure, but I would have thought it was a very expensive way to do it, having said that, would there be a time that you would buy bags of it to put it on certain veg, and if so what veg would you use it for? thnaks
If Its Not Growing... Its Dead.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost bags & Allotments
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 18:29 »
I wouldn't advise using bags of compost to improve the soil, unless it was really really poor soil and there wasn't any likelihood of getting manure.

I only use compost for seeds / pots.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 18:35 »
Don't confuse compost, (as bought), with manure.

Compost is a complete growing medium in its own right. Manure is a soil improver, containing a certain amount of nutrients and humus.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Dopey113

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 18:36 »
But that would be very expensive to do that though wouldn't it? the reason I ask is I have 4 bags someone gave me, its not old stuff its quite fresh, and I didn't know how best to use it, or what plants would benefit from it best, I held back one bag for my seeds, (he gave me 4 bags in all) and I want to keep the other for seedling for future use

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 18:40 »
Seeds and seedlings do not require much in the way of nutrition - they certainly don't want a great dollop of fresh horse manure!

If it's fresh, it's best to keep it for at least year, then use it on heavy feeders like spuds & sweetcorn.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 18:41 »
I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make?  Have you got bags of manure or of compost?

Manure is cheaper than compost when comparing volume.

They are, as DD says, designed for different purposes.  That is why bought / sealed compost is more expensive.  It is sterilised and balanced for nutrients, and designed for specific plant growth.

Manure's main purpose is as a soil conditioner.  It improves the structure of your soil by aiding drainage and moisture retention (sounds contradictory but is true, depending on the nature of your soil!).

If you've got 4 bags of decent compost and don't know what to do with them, you can put it on the plot but it's an awful waste of decent compost unless your soil is really poor.  If you've got 4 bags of manure, let it rot as DD says for a year and then put it where your beans or spuds are going to grow.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 18:42 by Yorkie »

Dopey113

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 19:07 »
I have bags of compost that i want to use up,

The manure I put on the allotment and dig in, i get that for free from a farmer down the road, he gets a tractor load and dumps it on the allotment every week, so i do know what that's for

OK I will keep the bags of compost safe for seedlings an such like

Thanks guys

DD.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 19:14 »
Don't use the manure on root veg though!

Dopey113

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 19:32 »
OK on onions and garlic though isn't it.... that's what I have in the manure already, and I have been told to put partly rotten manure on top of them (I haven't yet) but I wasn't so sure that was the right thing to do so I didn't, I know its kinda acid

xx
Best potatoe bags

Started by chickpeacurry on Equipment Shed

5 Replies
Last post January 14, 2014, 09:58
by Willow_Warren
xx
'Fertiliser' bags

Started by mike2006 on Equipment Shed

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2006, 13:22
by mike2006
xx
Potato Grow Bags PLEASE?

Started by lmillar11 on Equipment Shed

13 Replies
Last post March 11, 2010, 11:05
by BostonInbred
xx
I need 2 x100ltr bags of Bark Fines

Started by NorthEast Old Newbie on Equipment Shed

9 Replies
Last post December 08, 2013, 12:13
by NorthEast Old Newbie

Page created in 0.161 seconds with 38 queries.