No topic just hello!

• 5 Replies

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
No topic just hello!
« on: May 23, 2013, 12:17 »
Im always popping in here for help and advice particularly with my forever broody hens and there new chicks, but thought I would pop in today without wanting anything and just say hello!!

My new chicks 4 silkies are all being cared for by 4 separate hens and they seem to be ok with this which is great!

One of my silkie hens has decided it is a boy, but hes beautiful so I cant blame him! The bantam cock is giving him a run for his money though, but the garden is big enough for them both (most the time)

Hope everyone else is well, seems to be the season for broody hens and baby chicks, hopeeveryone is enjoying theirs!

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
Re: No topic just hello!
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 13:37 »
Hi frenchliving, I hope you are having better weather than we are.  We have had hail stones this morning, about 3 lots then a glimpse of blue sky before the next deluge.   ::)

I have invested in an incubator as I don't have a broody hen obliging at the moment.  I have set 25 eggs but not sure of the fertility so it might be down to a few when I candle next week. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

frenchliving

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 14:13 »
WOW ANHBUC 25!!!!! what will you do with all those!!  We really cant keep anymore we allow them to breed and do what they want when they go broody but will rehome these 4 in around 3 months not sure what the take will be though as silkies are difficult to sex!

Weather is a little better than uk but not what we are used too!! its around 18 today but grey skies and windy as well so don't get jealous!!
We have only just planted our veggies and our seeds did nothing due to grey skies!!

ANHBUC

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 15:39 »
Well 5 are fertile Ixworth eggs so they will be for the table.

Then 14 Barred Plymouth Rock bantam eggs.  Just got 2 bantam hens and have saved their eggs as they were with a cockerel and there is a possibility of them being fertile.  I will keep a couple of hens and possibly a cockerel if any hatch.

Then 3 cross bantam x Partridge Wyandotte bantam eggs.  Hens will be kept and cockerels for the pot.

Finally 3 cross bantam x Welsummer bantam eggs, again keeping any hens etc.  The cross bantams are only young but have been active so I will wait and see if any are fertile.

nerdle

• The Lone Free Ranger
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 22:53 »
Oh!  When I was reading up I put a big star next to Plymouth Rock bantams - very friendly and rarely broody if I'm not mistaken.  Wish  you lived near me!
One grandma and 4 baby Pekins.

ANHBUC

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2013, 23:04 »
Oh!  When I was reading up I put a big star next to Plymouth Rock bantams - very friendly and rarely broody if I'm not mistaken.  Wish  you lived near me!

Daisy and Dolly are not friendly yet but I'm sure that will come with time.  They were from a top breeder so the change in setup will be strange for them.  They have been out of their run a couple of times this week and gone back of their own accord.  They are not laying as regular as my Welsummer or Wyandotte bantams which is not a problem as I have more than enough eggs.  I am hoping to breed from them if I can locate a suitably handsome and well bred Rhode Island Red bantam cockerel.  This would give me the same cross as Black/Rhode Rocks but a bantam.   8)

xx
A slightly different topic...

Started by 300AJC on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2012, 15:14
by Beano

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 29 queries.